PDA

View Full Version : WinXP start-up screen displaying # of unread emails

caffy
13-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi again,

As the subject line says it, our start-up screen is displaying the number of unread emails we have, under either my username or my partner's username. Problem is, we don't have any unread emails!

How do we remove this?? I am pretty sure I did tick a box somewhere to display the # of unread emails on the start up screen. I want to go back and untick this box.

I think I may have done this around the same time I was installing Windows Live Messenger, and Msg Plus. Would this be connected to the start-up screen?

Thanks
caffy

Jen
13-02-2008, 05:37 PM
It most likely would have been the Windows Messenger that triggered this. You can disable this message by running the reg file found here (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm). Look for #100 "Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen". Just save the .reg file to your desktop and then double-click it to run. Say "yes" to the import question.

caffy
13-02-2008, 07:42 PM
What exactly should happen? I clicked on "Disable unread mail on the welcome screen" and this opens a new page and this is what is said on it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\UnreadMail\]
"MessageExpiryDays"=dword:00000000

?

Jen
13-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Your browser just opened up the .reg file (which is just plain text) instead of saving it. Right click on the link and go "save as" or "save link as" and save it to your desktop. You will notice it has a .reg extension.

caffy
13-02-2008, 07:53 PM
cheers, that worked!

I wish there was a tweak to fix my Outlook problem!! :)