PDA

View Full Version : PC Tools Spyware Doctor

Driftwood
08-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Have just installed & updated the latest free version on a vista system.
Ran the scan & found several nastys.
When asked to remove, said registration required & wouldnt preceed.
Have run this on many other systems with no problems, any ideas?

wainuitech
08-02-2008, 02:34 PM
you Positive its the free version ?

I know the paid one asks that question.

Driftwood
08-02-2008, 02:37 PM
You are indeed correct.

lakewoodlady
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
The other night I downloaded the free version onto my PC no probs and it worked fine. I downloaded the exact same one onto my laptop and hey presto I was asked to pay. I wonder what is going on with them !?

wainuitech
08-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I do know that if at any time in the past you have had the paid / trial version installed, then try to install the free one, its over taken by the Trial.

It wont see the free one as "Free" it still thinks it's the trial/paid.

Obviously they want you to pay for it.

nofam
08-02-2008, 03:58 PM
So far as I know, the download will only let you install and scan, but will require registration before removing or allowing def updates.

I've never seen a free (legit) version of SD that didn't require registration before getting down to business. And I've been using this app since v3

It's well worth the price they charge frankly; it's a fantastic product, and has great detection and removal rates.

wainuitech
08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
So far as I know, the download will only let you install and scan, but will require registration before removing or allowing def updates.

I've never seen a free (legit) version of SD that didn't require registration before getting down to business. And I've been using this app since v3

It's well worth the price they charge frankly; it's a fantastic product, and has great detection and removal rates.

You mustn't have looked very hard - There is a FREE Spyware Doctor and is LEGIT- Link in My Sig , but Here it is (http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/0,139024478,10634478s,00.htm) as well, same place as in my sig.

The differance between the two are listed Here (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/google_pack/)

nofam
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
:o Well you learn something every day!!

Sorry wt - is the two-version thing a reasonably recent offer from PC Tools?

I must admit, I don't read that much about SD anymore - i guess I've been using it so long now, I just upgrade it without visiting the website.

Will still be recommending to everyone that they buy it of course - good software deserves to be bought!! ;)

wainuitech
08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I came across the free version from the Google package - not wanting to install all the Google this and that, hunted down the free one - once I knew it was available It was on a mission to find it :lol: Finally got it.

The only problem(s) I know is its not quite as protective as the paid one, some functions don't work as per that list (cant have every thing eh!) and I have known sometimes it plays silly buggers and wont load correctly - read a bit on that and its only on the free one so I have discovered - the paid one is better, but not every one can pay for software - so free that works OK is still better than nothing.