PDA

View Full Version : how do i get usb working on thin clients?

mOOseCaNNoN
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi there,
I have a test server up running windows terminal services (legit, i get copies through uni doing my degree in IS). i have a couple of thin clients that have usb ports on the back. USB keyboards and mice work fine, i was wondering how i'm able to get a usb pen drive or external hard drive to work with them? is there something i need to enable in terminal services? or is it on the thin client itself? or maybe both? when i plug in a usb storage device the the server/thin client doesn't seem to know i've plugged anything in.

CYaBro
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
To get your local drives appearing on a terminal server session, on a fat client/normal PC, you have to share the drive/s and also make sure the option for Drives is ticked in the Remote Desktop client software.
May also need to check the server end for that setting as well.

Not sure about a thin client because, as you say, it is not even registering that you have a USB drive connected. And there would be nowhere to share the drive unles the thin client has some operating system built in that you can boot into? Some have a terminal version of XP or Windows CE or even Linux.

mOOseCaNNoN
08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
I've enabled USB in the Linux OS that's on the thin client but when i login to the terminal server and plug in a device it still doesn't do anything

mOOseCaNNoN
08-02-2008, 12:51 PM
i can get it working if i open a terminal session on a fat client because i can configure settings like disk drives to push through to the remote machine

Attached file: moosecannon_diskdrives.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/moosecannon_diskdrives.JPG) (38 KB)