PDA

View Full Version : Supervisor Password - WinXP

andy
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Is there any way to discover the "Supervisor" Password in Windows XP (I presume it means the Administrator Password). My Dad (a forgetful 81) has entered a password which he can't remember and now IE won't allow access to the internet and I can't repair his Outlook Express settings without this password. Is it possible to find this in the registry or is it a reformat job?
To get around the problem, I've installed Firefox and Thunderbird, which work fine, but he keeps going back to the MS programmes that he knows and cant remember why they don't work. As he lives 400 kM away, this is becoming a major headache for me! Please help.:waughh:

Safari
06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Do you mean the password for IE Content Advisor

http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

gary67
06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
If you can get that far it's not the administrator password you want as you are already logged into the Windows user

andy
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Many thanks. Yes, I am sure it is the content advisor password. I'll have a look next time I visit - I can't trust Dad to go near the registry.
Cheers.

andy

Poppa John
07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I am a Dad as well & I would not trust me near the registry either. PJ :D

Ps. I did go to a Registry Office 5 years ago. Have never regretted getting tied up to Maryann .:thumbs: PJ

andy
08-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice one PJ.
Unfortunately my Dad has Parkinsons so using the mouse or keyboard accurately is a problem for him. He also has a superior knowledge to anyone who has ever written an instruction manual and therefore always knows better than the manual after about step 1 (usually "turn on the PC"):rolleyes:

1024KB
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Very few people ever actually enter a Content Advisor password themselves. Especially in the case of single-user PC's.

Most commonly, Content Advisor passwords are inserted by malicious software - often as a f*** you message for uninstalling some nasty little app that was found free on teh interweb.

So my advice would be to get Dad to run the usual anti-everything apps including Hijack This, I'm picking you'll find your answer there.