PDA

View Full Version : routers and printer

Saturn1
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I have just set up a laptop and pc on a router Dlink DI524UP wireless router and USB print server. While i have both the pc and a wireless laptop working through the router I am currently unable to get the printer to work through the router.
I have gone through step by step guide that DLINK guide but so far am still unable to get anything printed through router.
The printer works fine when i unplug it from the router and connected to either the pc or laptop directly through USB connections
Any ideas any one.

wratterus
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Which Operating System are you running?

Did you create a new TCP/IP port when you installed the printer? (If you don't know what that is thats probably the problem). :p

Saturn1
05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi yes i know what that is and i created a TCP/IP port when i set up the router. The installation guide showed me how to do it. This is the only problem that i am facing.
The OS i am using is XP sp2

MushHead
05-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Firewall problem???

Saturn1
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Hmmm firewall i look into that. I have trend micro internet security 2007 for firewall. by the way just to add the printer is a brother HL 1430 laser printer

wainuitech
05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Have you actually told the printer to connect via the TCP/IP Port ?

If it connects OK through USB, thats because its being told to. You need to right click the Printer/properties/ports Tab/ Configure Port to the IP address you have given the Printer. If the PC (s) don't know where to look for the printer they wont find it.

Had to do this same thing today on a customer Network attached HP MFC - the printer wouldn't detect on the LAN, installed as USB then created a Port as wratterus said, and change the port settings - it instantly detected and away it went.

Saturn1
05-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Have checked my settings about the ports and the printer has been told to connect to TCP/IP port and is configured

ughnz
05-02-2008, 06:47 PM
If you have the TCP/IP port type set correctly, i.e. RAW or LPTR and the port set correctly then it more then likely the printer is not compatible with the print server.

Have you checked with HP and D-Link if the printer is supported by the server?