PDA

View Full Version : Cable from router to laptop

Strommer
04-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Are any of the cables (connecting from router to a PC) flexible and thin or are they all the heavy type? I am helping a friend get broadband - her Slingshot router is due to arrive tomorrow and she does not want wireless and she would prefer something thinner than what we have - the cable for my wife's laptop is the heavy type (not thin and flexible like a mouse cord). Thanks.

CliveM
04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
They are all the Heavy type sfaik.

hazza87
04-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Most cables that connect pcs to routers will be Ethernet cables.
Although you can get routers with usb ports for connecting to pcs if you consider usb cables thin enough. The performance will not be as good as ethernet cable and they mainly come in shorter lengths. Also the slingshot router will almost certainly not have a usb port as they are not standard.

Strommer
04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I'll go ahead and get the standard ethernet cable at DSE tomorrow, plus an extra line filter and get the new broadband connection hooked up although I cannot remember if the router works 'out of the box' or if I'll need to ring Slingshot to get some sort of programming info.

wainuitech
04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
What "Should" happen (famous Last words) is you enter your adsl user name and password in the routers settings, then on each PC set the TCP/IP settings to obtain IP address automatically, Make sure the firewall (s) are set to allow the full range through from the router and away you go.

Strommer
04-02-2008, 10:05 PM
wainuitech - thanks !