PDA

View Full Version : Flashing The bios

12-04-2001, 02:57 PM
I have a cuv4x mainboard.I tried to flash the bios to the latest version(1007)using the asus update 3.27 because i had stability problems with the version i had.But it failed when verifying the new bios.So the computer does not boot now.What can i do?
Please help.
Thank You

12-04-2001, 07:25 PM
Flashing Bios can be fraught with danger as you have found out! It has to be carried out in real mode DOS, ensuring that memory managers like emm386 are not loaded. You MUST back up the old BIOS. You MUST read the instructions that come with the flash utility. Sorry, this is like shutting the stable door---etc.
If your PC still beeps when you power up, but the screen is blank, you still have a chance to recover, but only IF you backed up the old BIOS into a file like 'oldbios.bin'
You need access to another computer to make a bootable DOS floppy. Copy 'oldbios.bin' to the floppy and make an autoexec.bat file with the line; oldbios.bin in it.
Hopefully the system will re-load the old bios when you boot off the floppy, and you will recover to your original situation.
If it doesn't, then 'el tougho', you need a new bios chip if obtainable, else a new motherboard.
Here's hoping!

13-04-2001, 11:54 AM
If you know the BIOS versions of both the old and new - try contacting an assembler/reseller of PCs. They may have an eprom burner and can reflash your BIOS chip to restore its function.
This happened to me once, and a local assembler was able to perform the above for me, following the 'flashing of the BIOS has aborted' error message half way through the process!!