View Full Version : Adjusting Recording Levels

03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Iím trying to convert my vinyl LPís to digital sound. using Groove Mechanic. Iíve purchased a pre-amp for my turn table as the recording levels were too low without it. However when I hook up the pre-amp, the opposite happens; the recording levels go well over the maximum and it is impossible to adjust them (using the line in slider on the volume control) to the 90% level required for effective recording.
Does anybody have any ideas of how I can get some effective sound adjustment?

03-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Johnny: I wonder if you are plugged into the correct input in your soundcard? I wonder if it is not only too loud but also distorting?

It sounds as though you might be using the microphone input. Try changing to another input. There may be one marked "aux" which is correct.

Don't worry too much about the 90% required. Try a lower level. If it sounds ok to you, it most probably is. If it sounds ok on playback then that should be ok too.

Let me know how you get on.

03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Roscoe, I'll check it out.

03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Roscoe,

It seems to be correctly plugged into the "line in" slot. There are three plug holes in a row, one with the speakers, one with a microphome symbol and one marked with circular sound-wavey sorts of things radiating from it.

The volume changes abruptly when I move the line input slider too. It's a though I need a lower powered pre-amp.

Neil McC
04-02-2008, 07:10 AM
What sort of preamp did you get? And does it have a volume control on it ( it's own software), or are you using the Windows one?
You don't want to over record as that sounds terrible with digital.

04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Johnny: As Neil says, over recording on digital does not sound too good.

At least you have the correct input which is a start.

Are you running XP? If so, have a look for the speaker icon in the bottom right on your taskbar. Open that. It is the Windows recording control. The window that opens usually defaults to "Record Control." There are four or five faders (depending on how you set it up) and you need to make certain that "Line In" is selected. Use that fader to decrease the input level so your signal no longer distorts.

The same programme may also be used to control the playback level. On the "Record Control" choose "options" and "properties" and tick "playback". Click OK and the window with the playback faders opens.

Hopefully that will put you on the right track.

04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks Roscoe and Neil,

Yes I'm confident I understand the recording programme controls in Windows XP.

Next I think I'll borrow a friend's turntable and try that. If the problem is still there it's probably the pre-amp. No, the pre-amp doesn't have any sliding controls. It's a $50 model called "Pudney"

Neil McC
04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Is this the one?
That's not a trim pot on the back?