PDA

View Full Version : Canon Inkjet - too-early "empty" message

Tony_Ryan
03-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I have a near-new Canon IP4300 inkjet.
Basically I am very pleased with it's performance - BUT - I am experiencing "empty cartridge" signals (which prevent printing) when - to the eye - the tank still appears to be half-full.
It appears to be possible to get the printer to print anyway but only after "juggling around", e.g. taking suspect cartridge out, shaking it, and reinserting it, but this is a hassle and wastes much time.
Any comments or solutions please?

Speedy Gonzales
03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Is it firmware upgradeable like some printers are?

If it is, check for a firmware update.

R2x1
03-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Manufacturers are entitled to rip you off on ink cartridges - it is a well established tradition.

Misty
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't know about Canon but Hewlett-Packard have a "Printer Assistant", one of the options is that you can do a Clean Printer Heads exercise. Check the troubleshooting option on the software that came with your printer.
Misty :cool:

Lurking
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Tony_Ryan, wifey had the same type of printer and problem, it was a hardware problem, outcome! cost more to repair than a new one. IP4300 up to IP4500. Another $200 down the Canon drain.

Lurking.

S

paulw
04-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Interesting that your Canon stops when the ink emty comes on early. I have a Canon MP530 even though I get an Ink Empty it will continue to print until the ink tank is transparent and completely empty. Just wish they were cheaper as I see over the past month that the cost of the genuine item has gone from $21 to $25 at most retail stores.. Think the next lot I get I get from Ink Venus if they ever have them in stock..

MMM
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Tony,

Same here with my Canon Pixma ip4200 inkjet.

If printer refuses to print because one or all of the cartridges is empty, I just press one of the buttons on the printer to force it to continue. Works till it runs out. Not so good for the printer heads though.

I got an old Epson printer for my black and white jobs, ie ordinary docs, and only use the Canon when doing photos or coloured work.

Noticed that the colour cartridges were going down even though I wasn't using them, apparantly it chews up a lot of ink when cleaning the heads etc.

Cheers
Marg

Nomad
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
We have a Canon MF laser scanner - the same happens here.
I find that if you turn it off and back on it can print a few pages before it gets the wits back ...

HP 6L laser and Epson inkjet does not happen .. it just lets you print ..

andy
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Do you mean that the liquid tank is half full or the solid tank (the side where the ink goes to the printhead)? If it is the latter, then you can continue printing by pressing the "Resume" (middle) button. You now need to keep an eye on your printouts. When the near empty colour starts to alter the printing colours, change it quick. You should be able to get about 5 more A4 printouts this way.

Agent_24
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I can keep printing until it runs dry (Canon Pixma IP2000) here....

It comes up with the low ink warning long before anything actually runs out, but doesn't have an empty message as far as I know.

I have heard something about resetting the waste ink tank but I think that applies to a different problem