PDA

View Full Version : what is conventional memory ???

12-04-2001, 12:21 PM
I've somehow lost notepad. When I put windows me cd in and start setup it stops and error message shows 'Setup does not have enough conventional memory to check your computer hard disks.You need to free some before continuing. See setup text for details.
I can't find anything referring to conventional memory. I am running a P3 800 with 128 ram and 20 gig hard drive.

12-04-2001, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure of the details but memory is split up by dos and the windows os's into a few categories. Some are for the systems own use, others are for programs. I think what you should do is to press <ctrl><alt><del> and close all the programs running except for explorer and systray. If that does not work try it in dos. Otherwise find a program like RAMBOOST/RAMIDLE (you can download one from pcworld) and try to optimise your memory with thoes. Good Luck!
(P.S) 800x600 is the current standard resolution - but others prefer higer - it debends on how good you can see!

12-04-2001, 07:47 PM
Conventional memory goes back to the days of the XT PC, when computers had 1MB of memory. The first 640KB was used for running DOS programs, the remaining memory was reserved for ROM BIOS, graphics adapters etc.
This is conventional memory.
Very strange that Microsoft Windows ME that tries to deny DOS exists should squeal about not enough conventional memory.
Use Find to see if you have notepad.exe, it may still be there.

15-04-2001, 02:11 PM
I have had problems like this in the past. For me a reboot usually sorted it out, but also i had things in my system tray runnin gwhich screwed up my autorun. PC Cillan antivirus was the thing i minimised it down to, but disable or close your backgound runing programmes
Hope this helps

18-04-2001, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I have now approached Microsoft NZ technical support and they are scratching their heads and trying to sort it out for me.

Cheers.