PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer without an explanation

george12
30-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a Compaq laptop here (Sempron 3000+, 384MB RAM) which is running absurdly slowly. The only thing running in the background is Norton Internet Security.

It's not running out of RAM.

It takes about 7 mins to start up (after the mouse first appears, and during which the HDD is thrashing constantly) and there seems to be no reason for this. There are no extra services or anything, apart from Norton stuff.

Is there anything that could be slowing it down that doesn't show up in Hijackthis? Task manager shows 0-2% CPU usage at idle, but simple tasks like right-clicking take up to 20 seconds.

The "Windows is starting up message" appears for about 20 seconds (normally this doesn't come up at all), and "Loading your personal settings" takes upwards of 30 seconds.

Advice?

wratterus
30-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Nortons can cause that.

Have you done a HDD and RAM diagnostic?

george12
30-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I'll do a hard drive test now. Can bad RAM cause slowness instead of crashing? I have never heard of that being a possibility.

wratterus
30-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't know! :p I guess it could, but it's worth testing. It can cause applications to fail to load, which could cause the slowness...maybe? :lol:

Is it a fresh install or an older one?

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Get rid of any program/s that use Indexing. Or disable its indexing option.

(Google toolbar. Windows Desktop Search (this is used in Outlook 07, Nero Scout (part of Nero, and XP's indexing service).

These can all slow a system down and can make a hdd make a hell of a racket.

Metla
30-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Power saving "features" enabled in the bios?

What speed is the cpu clocked at under right click My Computer>Properties>general

george12
30-01-2008, 08:51 PM
No indexing services are running.

I bet it will turn out to be Nortons.

george12
30-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Power saving "features" enabled in the bios?

What speed is the cpu clocked at under right click My Computer>Properties>general

It's running at full speed - 1.8GHz.

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Could be a corrupt profile?

george12
30-01-2008, 08:56 PM
It takes ages to even get to the login screen though, and there are two profiles, both of which run about the same.

radium
30-01-2008, 09:16 PM
What about there being a physical issue with the HDD, maybe it's having trouble accessing files?

Norton can slow down your computer, but 7 minutes, I don't think it's that bad.

Find out what make the HDD is and run a diagnostic test maybe :2cents:

For a start run Scan Disk. Have you done that?

stu161204
30-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Have you disabled Norton Internet Security??

My bet its that :p ;)

jwil1
30-01-2008, 09:24 PM
GET RID OF NORTON'S.

Had a PC that took 10mins+ to load WXP, disabled Norton's through msconfig (Start-Run-msconfig-Startup-disable "ccApp"-reboot). Norton's wont load at startup now.

See if it makes a difference. I bet it will :p Did for me!

Agent_24
30-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Could well be NIS, it's the worst norton program for slowing you down, especially version 2004 onwards

wainuitech
30-01-2008, 09:56 PM
No indexing services are running.

I bet it will turn out to be Nortons. More than likely is - had a customers PC today, close to your specs, took about 4- 5 minutes to fully start, removed Nortons Internet security and was up and going in just over a minute 15 sec , then got slightly faster after taking out the the 8 viruses and 318 spyware Norton Missed.

Metla
30-01-2008, 10:03 PM
People, Your all mad.

Or incompetent.

Norton recently got rave reviews in PC World.

How could you all get it so wrong?

:illogical

wainuitech
30-01-2008, 10:08 PM
People, Your all mad.

Or incompetent.

Norton recently got rave reviews in PC World.

How could you all get it so wrong?

:illogical Seen the latest comments in Aust PC User - about the same review - complete opposite. :groan: How good is Nortons if they are actually paying you to purchase it - seen the ads on TV today, and its mentioned in the forms earlier today Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=86822)

Metla
30-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Seen the latest comments in Aust PC User - about the same review - complete opposite. :groan: How good is Nortons if they are actually paying you to purchase it - seen the ads on TV today, and its mentioned in the forms earlier today Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=86822)

Yeah, Your still new, I should probably point out I made about 3000 posts in the past based around my hate for everything to do with Norton's. Hell, its probably half the reason I don't work in the field any more.

That and mass produced rubbish PC's.

PC World mag went in the bin I'm afraid, I don't want to bad mouth them, But meh. My above post was sarcasm aimed at their review.

IllegalCharacter
30-01-2008, 10:17 PM
what Os is it, is it and old computer or maybe the hard drive is breaking?

TGD
30-01-2008, 10:21 PM
You say it's not a ram problem, but that's not much for xp it wants about 240mgs with most of the normal services running and I'm guessing your not running Vista as that shouldn't even run on that much ram - you do need more.

what if you run msconfig and see what's running in start up and turn off all the stuff you don't need, this is found in start/ run then type in msconfig

apsattv
30-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I bet the DMA has downgraded, I would be checking that once it finally boots up. Once thats fixed reset. Then boot it up and Nuke Nortons.

TGD
30-01-2008, 10:26 PM
I run more then one network
one has Nortons - the slowest but not bad
Mcfee - good protection, light foot print
but the fastest of the lot is Avast , cheapest to
All work fine all stuff up, reload what ever BUT get more RAM!

IllegalCharacter
30-01-2008, 10:29 PM
i agree avast is quite good i run it at home maybe you should try a diffrent virus shield/scanner/protecter or maybe your system isnt compatible with norton?

IllegalCharacter
30-01-2008, 10:36 PM
to put it in a simple awnser its probably the hard drive and the ram Ie is taking 57 mb's itself! norton doesnt load when your booting try buying more ram getting a new Hd or Maybe even updating windows though Norton may be a problem when actually running

george12
30-01-2008, 10:40 PM
It's a client's PC. I can't switch AVs without asking first, and I'd rather not go there yet.

The hard drive tested fine. Nothing is loading that isn't related to NIS, so I'm going to disable that and see what happens.

Metla
30-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Nortons integrates itself through the entire file structure, adds a bunch of services into the windows shell and another bunch of crap into the startup.

Shes definitely loading itself when Windows is booting.

And the hard drive is about the least likely suspect.

Agent_24
30-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I bet the DMA has downgraded, I would be checking that once it finally boots up. Once thats fixed reset. Then boot it up and Nuke Nortons.

I was going to suggest that, but if it has NIS on it it's very likely it's Norton rather than a DMA problem

george12
30-01-2008, 10:46 PM
More RAM won't help - it's got 90MB physically free once everything is loaded. I'm not sure about the hard drive - it seems to have no physical faults.

Agent_24
30-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Test the HDD as much as you like, have you tried disabling norton yet? (and make sure you do it properly with msconfig so nothing norton loads)

george12
30-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Will do so in the morning.

It's time to get some sleep.

Goodnight PF1 - thanks for your help everyone.

TGD
30-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I did have a PC last week that was running slow, it problem was Nortons, it was one of those free trial versions but it had run out of updates, but because it was set to update automatically it had got itself stuck in a loop of trying to update, when it couldn't it would hang, if you can't change Nortons try a reinstall it or find all the updaters and turn them off

wainuitech
31-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Yeah, Your still new, I should probably point out I made about 3000 posts in the past based around my hate for everything to do with Norton's. Hell, its probably half the reason I don't work in the field any more.

That and mass produced rubbish PC's.

PC World mag went in the bin I'm afraid, I don't want to bad mouth them, But meh. My above post was sarcasm aimed at their review. Errr I know it was sarcasm, The comment I made was backing it up. The point I was saying is it must be finally catching on that Nortons is trouble, espically if they have to pay the people to take it away. I love Nortons - :p - it buggers computers and gives me work - so the more people that have it the more $$ I get in fixing the things.

george12
31-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I've disabled Nortons using msconfig. Now there are NO services and NO programs loading at startup, and it hasn't made any difference to the startup time. Everything is in slow motion, so to speak.

Agent_24
31-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical. have you tried checking DMA as suggested earlier?

Have you scanned for viruses with something that isn't norton?

george12
31-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Ah, didn't see that one. It will be the next thing I check.

I'll scan it with AVG soon, too.

george12
31-01-2008, 10:10 AM
DMA was the problem. It's running like lightning now.

Next problem: The audio skips badly when playing DVDs, but the video is fine.