View Full Version : Hard drive near speakers

29-01-2008, 07:07 PM
hi i have a external hard drive.. is it safe for it to be sitting next to my sterio speakers..

29-01-2008, 07:14 PM
hm........i'd be a little wary....speakers have powerful magnets.......hard drives write and store their data magnetically.........you work it out

29-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't see why not. It's not like the stereo speakers are going to blast the external hard drive off the table..... :P

It also depends on what type of speakers you have.

29-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Drcspy is right, speakers, especially strong ones are actually very strong magnetes and putting them beside any computer equipment, secpecially external; hard-drives is noit a good idea. It can cause not immediate damage but damage that comes eventually, similar to static discharge on graphics cards. They work fine at the begining, but after a while start to break down. Dont take the advice of a seemingly --Gasp, Dear is say it-- noob such as the one above me.

29-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I usually look for hard drive answers on the StorageReview Forum and this comes from an engineer in the design lab for one of the drive manufacturers.

"The metal in the drive enclosure (usually a combination of aluminum and steel) provide magnetic shielding for the media. The fields from the speakers are too small to cause any harm to the drive, so I wouldn't worry about it." http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=524&view=findpost&p=5291

Other opinion is that the vibration from something like a subwoofer could do some damage even if the magnetism doesn't.

Billy T
29-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Most speakers have fairly piddly magnets, but even those with decent magnets (weight will tell you the difference, big=heavy) don't radiate a very strong field beyond 10cm or so. It is very hard to wipe even an audio cassette without using a very strong alternating magnetic field and data on an HDD is much more difficult to shift I played around with floppies and some very strong magnets once and it took a lot of effort to corrupt the data.

Just keep the drive 10-15 cm or so from the magnets and you'll be OK. Many people put drives close to their CRT type monitors and they give out an almighty pulse of alternating EMF every time they are switched on. The only data I've ever seen corrupted was a credit card which was parked hard up against the monitor at switch-on.

Billy 8-{)

29-01-2008, 11:19 PM
hi i have a external hard drive.. is it safe for it to be sitting next to my sterio speakers..

You'll be fine, I do it all the time.

30-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Billy T are you saying that i shouldnt put it near my crt moniter?

30-01-2008, 10:34 AM
No, he's saying that you'll probably be fine, but that it's something to consider. I wouldn't store you hard drive on your CRT if I were you. Neither would I try to integrate it into speakers etc. (I'm extracting the urine). If you're concerned then keep it a little bit away from your speakers (unless they're the standard piddly desktop ones you get with most comps) and not directly on your screen. I also would try to keep away from submerging it, and I'd tend not to try to use it to jack up cars whilst stealing peoples wheels.