PDA

View Full Version : Cooling for AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+

Geek4414
28-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Any suggestions to the cheapest and most effective cooling system for an AMD Athlon64 x2 4800+?

This computer first overheated couple of months ago when the user push a folder right up against the cpu vent on the side of the case. It has been working well after they removed the folder and an extra chasis fan was installed.

However, the system has started overheating again with the recent hot weather. The standard stock heatsink that was shipped with the CPU is not keeping it cool enough, using EasyTune and SpeedFan shows that the cpu is running around 80C to 90C, even momentarily spiked above 100C at times.

Would a bigger chasis fan and replacement heat transfer compound be effective or should they consider replacing the heatsink/fan with a more effective one?

The_End_Of_Reality
28-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I run an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ overclocked to 2.7GHz and running 1.55V core and I am running the stock cooler and have never had any issues at all.

I suggest you rip off the HSF and clean the bottom and put on some new thermal paste and see what happens from there.

Also is there enough air flow in the case?

qazwsxokmijn
28-01-2008, 08:47 PM
The CPU shouldn't hit 100 unless the heatsink is densely clogged with dust or it's not on properly. Check the heatsink and suck up all the dust and do what David says and install it again properly.

Even without adequate airflow I don't think it should hit 100 degrees.

Myth
28-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Im using the same CPU (4800+ X2) and use the old XP90 Thermalright cooler with fan (that came off my P4 system, you can buy an AM2 adapter)

Will have to get a 4-wire fan however, but for the time being my SilenX is doing the job

Sweep
28-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I use an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Due to the post I just checked temps.

Motherboard 38% and CPU 32%. Centigrade that is. If you are in Fahreheit then 98.4% is blood temp normal and roughly correct. This if you are healthy. You say C% and if correct then the computer should shut down if you make sure the BIOS detects this.

I have no idea what the ambient temp is in this room at this time. Suffice to say I am currently not wearing an overcoat.

My motherboard is fitted in a Kandalph case. Using stock CPU Fan.
This CPU not overclocked and never has been.

tweak'e
29-01-2008, 07:42 AM
However, the system has started overheating again with the recent hot weather. The standard stock heatsink that was shipped with the CPU is not keeping it cool enough, using EasyTune and SpeedFan shows that the cpu is running around 80C to 90C, even momentarily spiked above 100C at times.

first thing......whats your case temp ?

Geek4414
29-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Thank you very much for all your replies.

The PC did shut itself down a number of times due to overheating and it will not start up until it has had time to cool down.

The temperature probably spiked over 100C only momentarily, I can see the spike on the temperature chart in Speedfan couple of times, the rest of the chart hoovers around 80C to 90C.

I have checked the HSF and have checked temperature after removing and re-installing it a few times. It made virtually no difference. The case is a PB branded mini tower case, it appears to have adequate airflow and there is a second chasis fan on the back panel. The funnel on the side panel does not line up directly over the CPU/HSF, it's about 1/2 way across the top of the HSF, but I shouldn't think that would make much difference.

The user currently has a box fan pointing at the front of the case and that seems to be keeping the temperature at the low 80s.

I will try to replace the thermal paste, any suggestion on what product to use and the best way to remove the existing thermal paste from the cpu and the bottom of the HSF?

The_End_Of_Reality
29-01-2008, 10:26 AM
There MUST be something wrong as I purposely stopped my CPU fan while video encoding and the temp never went above 75C...

What is the temperature in the BIOS, I know that temp readers such as Speedfan often get the temps wrong, and the BIOS will be the most reliable reading.

If you touch the HSF, is it burning to the touch?

tweak'e
29-01-2008, 03:56 PM
The case is a PB branded mini tower case, it appears to have adequate airflow .................The user currently has a box fan pointing at the front of the case and that seems to be keeping the temperature at the low 80s.
a bit of a contradiction there. if its got adequate airflow then a fan blowing into the case shouldn't do much at all.

really need pics of case and fan locations.

checking the temps in the bios is a good idea. also check what the sutoff temp is set to. have they got variable speed fan turned on?

Geek4414
30-01-2008, 10:24 PM
a bit of a contradiction there. if its got adequate airflow then a fan blowing into the case shouldn't do much at all.

really need pics of case and fan locations.

checking the temps in the bios is a good idea. also check what the sutoff temp is set to. have they got variable speed fan turned on?

You might be right there tweak'e. I will check the air flow again and the bios temperature reading. Can't get to site to take a pic for a few days yet and it's miles away. Meanwhile, I will see if I can get a bigger fan and some replacement heat transfer compound as suggested. Any recommendation on what product to use?

tweak'e
31-01-2008, 10:08 AM
heat transfer compound.....artic silver :)

Geek4414
04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Adding another chasis fan (total of 2) did not fix the problem, it only brought the temperature down by 1C to 2C.

The problem is finally solved by replacing the thermal paste with a tube I picked up from DSE.

I cleaned off the existing paste and applied the new stuff. The CPU is now running around 45C and only gone up to around 50C and max 51C playing a shockwave animation, plus a DVD video at the same time.

I don't know why the original thermal paste supplied with the with standard stock HSF wasn't doing its job. Do they have a limited life span? Mind you, the computer is less than 10 months old, so one wouldn't think the thermal paste would perish in such short time?

SolMiester
04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I would think the HS wasnt placed on the cpu correctly, the retail HSF on this pc has been in place for 3 yrs...turned on 24/7

tweak'e
04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Adding another chasis fan (total of 2) did not fix the problem, it only brought the temperature down by 1C to 2C.

did you ever record the case temps ?

wratterus
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't know why the original thermal paste supplied with the with standard stock HSF wasn't doing its job. Do they have a limited life span? Mind you, the computer is less than 10 months old, so one wouldn't think the thermal paste would perish in such short time?

I have had this a few times with AM2 HS. About 6 months, and the PC starts overheating etc etc. Can't figure it out. Clean it up and put some arctic silver on there, dropped the CPU temp by over 45`c. Must be some dodgy transfer paste or something, as I had it more than once, and I know I installed it right. :p