PDA

View Full Version : Wireless networking problems

R.M.
28-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Today's problem is wireless networking. The laptop is wireless connected to the desktop via a Belkin Wireless G router. At the moment, the laptop connects to the internet ok, BUT I can't share files to and from each computer. When I look on My Network Places on the desktop, only the desktop ones show up. When I look at My Network Places on the laptop, ONLY the desktop folders show up (none of the laptop shared folders).:(

In addition, the networks available on the desktop do not include the Belkin Wireless network (it does on the laptop). :confused:

All of this worked just fine a couple of months ago - but I do admit to moving a few things around on the desktop. To allow for this, I went through the Sharing and Security process to make sure - but to no avail. Bother.

Clues??

beeswax34
28-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Sure the Workgroup on each computer is the same eg. "MSHOME"?

Renmoo
28-01-2008, 09:43 PM
1) Unshare and share the folders again
2) Firewall issue?
3) Wrong Access Point (AP) connected (unlikely though)?

simro
28-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Can you get access to your laptop's server from your desktop in Microsoft Windows network?

beeswax34
28-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Can you get access to your laptop's server from your desktop in Microsoft Windows network?

His laptop's what? I dont think he mentioned a server anywhere in his post.

simro
28-01-2008, 11:08 PM
His laptop's what? I dont think he mentioned a server anywhere in his post.

His computer (or server) in the MSHOME (im presuming) workgroup.

R.M.
29-01-2008, 07:25 AM
1) Unshare and share the folders again
2) Firewall issue?
3) Wrong Access Point (AP) connected (unlikely though)?

Did the unshare/reshare bit.
Checked the firewall (but didn't undo/redo) maybe try that.
Access point ??

Logic tells me that I should be able to see the shared laptop folders on the laptop - but I can't. I can only see the 'old' desktop shared folders on the laptop - not the updated version. I can see the desktop updated shared folders on the desktop. :groan:

R.M.
29-01-2008, 07:25 AM
His computer (or server) in the MSHOME (im presuming) workgroup.

Yes.

Now work must intervene for the day...

Renmoo
29-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a feeling that one of the computers cannot ping the other, which is the source of the problem...

... Don't trust my sixth sense too much though.

Cheers :)

simro
29-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I remember I had a problem like this a few years ago. I would suggest you run the Windows Network setup wizard again, on your laptop, although im pretty sure that wont fix it. You could give it a try though. ;)

R.M.
29-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I remember I had a problem like this a few years ago. I would suggest you run the Windows Network setup wizard again, on your laptop, although im pretty sure that wont fix it. You could give it a try though. ;)

Did that :(

R.M.
29-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a feeling that one of the computers cannot ping the other, which is the source of the problem...

... Don't trust my sixth sense too much though.

Home again... When I ping (had to look that up to refresh my memory!) - do I ping the IP address?

Renmoo
29-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Home again... When I ping (had to look that up to refresh my memory!) - do I ping the IP address?
(Where's Speedy when you need him :p)

Yup, you ping the address of the other computer. If you don't know the IP address of the computers, you can ping the designated name of the them.

simro
29-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Sorry about the late reply, O.K if you cant ping your computer i would say it would be a networking/firewall problem. If you can ping it, it would be a folder sharing problem? :D

R.M.
29-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Right - done that. Both reported 'request timed out'. So - they aren't seeing each other. Now what???:o

stormdragon
29-01-2008, 07:51 PM
What firewall's are installed?

R.M.
29-01-2008, 07:55 PM
ZoomAlarm - the free one.

simro
29-01-2008, 08:14 PM
ZoomAlarm - the free one.

Have you tried temporarily disabling zonealam while you ping?

R.M.
29-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Right - it still times out from the laptop, but there was a result from the desktop. :)

Some time ago - I put the IP addresses of each 'puter in ZoneAlarm and all was working hunky dory WITH ZoneAlarm enabled. I haven't changed those settings, and just to be sure, I took them out and then put them back in again... :(

R.M.
29-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Bed calls - I have to be at the coal face again in the morning. :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
29-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Use the wizard in ZA dont add the ips in yoursef.

R.M.
30-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Use the wizard in ZA dont add the ips in yoursef.

That's obviously something else I have to learn about. :confused: I had a look at ZoneAlarm, but couldn't see the wizard. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction please?

Thanks, as always.

R.M.
30-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Just reporting back - some partial progress I think.

I can now take files off the laptop to the desktop - with or without ZoneAlarm being on (I had to change the IP address, but still can't work out where the wizard is in ZoneAlarm).

HOWEVER, so far I fail to do the reverse (which according to Murphy's Law is what I would most want to do...).

The other odd thing is that when I enable sharing of files on the desktop, they fail to show up in My Network Places on that 'puter.

When I try to access the desktop files from the laptop, the message is:
"\\c drive pc is not available. You might not have permission ...etc. The network path was not found."

And yes, I can ping each computer from the other now.

:groan:

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Wouldnt have a clue where the network wizard is in ZA now.

I uninstalled it a few yrs ago.

I would get the wireless version of ZA, it may make a diff.

It may have the options in it that the standard/Pro versions dont have.

linw
30-01-2008, 11:18 PM
If you can ping both ways you have a network. This is good! Have a look at the following to see whether it helps. Make sure to check the 'restrictanonymous' reg key - it has caused MUCH hair loss over time! Good luck.

Inability to Access Network Resources

When trying to access a WinXP computer over the network, users may receive an error message that claims they do not have permission to access the resource. This may be caused by several things. XP Home users (as well as XP Pro users utilizing Simple File Sharing) need to ensure their network Guest account is enabled and has a blank password. This is not the same as the Guest account that exists in the accounts settings of the Control Panel.

1. To enable the network Guest account on XP Home and Pro, click Start, click Run, type: net user guest /active:yes, and hit Enter.

2. Ensure there is no password for the Guest account: click Start, click Run, type: control userpasswords2, and hit Enter. Click once on Guest, click Reset Password, and then click OK without entering a new password.

3. Be aware that Windows XP, when installed on an NTFS disk partition and using simple file sharing, blocks network access to the Program Files and Windows directories as well as users folders within the Documents and Settings directory. This behavior is by design.

4. There are two registry keys to check on XP that have the potential to cause network headaches. The first is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Lsa

5. Ensure that restrictanonymous is set to 0. Ignore the restrictanonymoussam entry that looks similar and may also appear.

6. Older versions of Norton Anti-Virus set a value for IRPStacksize in the registry that is too low for XP. In fact, XP doesn't even need this registry key. If you have it in your registry, thankSymantec (NSDQ: SYMC) and then delete it. If you determine that the XP registry has this unneeded entry, check this registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Lanmanserver/Parameters. You can read more about this issue from Symantec and Microsoft.

If you're still having issues, a great place to start is Hans-Georg Michna's Windows XP Network Problem Solver site. You describe the scenario; the site provides numerous possible solutions.

Also, feel free to share any networking issues you have with us in the TechBuilder forums. We'll do what we can do to offer up a solution for you.

R.M.
31-01-2008, 07:36 AM
5. Ensure that restrictanonymous is set to 0. Ignore the restrictanonymoussam entry that looks similar and may also appear.

Thanks for that - so far so good, but when I came to the above, restrictanonymous has "default - (value not set)". Should I put '0' there instead of 'value not set'?

linw
31-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I certainly would. Can't do any harm. Not sure how it interprets 'default value' though. Let's know how it goes.