PDA

View Full Version : router switch?

Cicero
26-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Chap has a computer,wanted to run two off same line,his router had lots of ports,but 2nd one wouldn't work from said ports,he went to Syntech here in Ch Ch,they gave him a 8 port 10/100 switch,from that he plugs into one of the ports and all works very well.Cost 31:50.

Could we have an explanation of that please.
I hope I have given enough info,I tend not too.

pine-o-cleen
26-01-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm assuming Router = ADSL router?

Sounds like there was a fault with all but one of the ethernet ports on his ADSL router, which is strange.

Cicero
26-01-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm assuming Router = ADSL router?

Sounds like there was a fault with all but one of the ethernet ports on his ADSL router, which is strange.
Correct pino,re adsl.

Are you say the the switch as it was described in invoice is a router.
It certainly looks like one.
The first router is working ok on #1 computer,and all the 8 ports would not work for the 2nd computer.

R2x1
26-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Ah well, 10/100. there's your problem, bloody metrics. If he had got a proper 12/144 imperial unit in the first place, he would have been much better off. Grossly better.

Cicero
27-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Ah well, 10/100. there's your problem, bloody metrics. If he had got a proper 12/144 imperial unit in the first place, he would have been much better off. Grossly better.

That can't be right,D-Link original was metric it's this new one that works that is the question.

I will look for other info today.

jinja_thom
27-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Cicero, don't take too much notice of what r2x1 said, he was just making an imperialist joke.
One possible explanation of the events assuming quite a lot in the absence of factual information is as follows.

If the #2 computer had been configured to have a fixed IP address which was outside the range allocated by the router then it would not work on any of the ethernet ports on the router. Switches however don't use IP addresses because they operate at a lower level in the OSI 7 layer model for data comunication, they rely on mac addresses of the devices to which they are connected. Mac addresses are universally unique and cannot be changed so there can be no conflict and the link will work.

If this is the case then you could dispense with the switch simply by configuring the second pc to obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically or give it a fixed IP address in the same sequence as the first pc which is working.

HTH

Cicero
27-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Clever stuff there major thom,not many on here would know that,so with luck we have all leaned something.