PDA

View Full Version : Since new motherboard Acronis cannot see hard drives

Misty
26-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Since installation of a new motherboard Acronis True Image v9.0 cannot see any of the hard drives. I have searched around their help menus both through the installed copy and also the website but no ideas other than to download the latest build which I have done ....but still no joy !

The solution might seem to be to reinstall True Image. However I do have an image (pre new motherboard) on my external drive and it seems to be like giving up the lifeboat.

My query would the existing image be any good, and if so, would it matter if I reinstalled ?

I have put an emailed query to Acronis Customer Support but even if they only take 24 hours to come back I would like to make a fresh image of the hard drive, including both partitions before then.

Funnily enough I had a similar (but essentially different) problem in April 07 when, after lots of suggestions, Neil McC came up with the solution applicable then (but not applicable to this situation)
Misty :help:

wainuitech
26-01-2008, 12:38 PM
An Image of a PC is only good for the components installed when that image was created.
The new Motherboard has different drivers, setup etc so the old image is basically no good.

The exception to this is if you have Acronis trueimage work station with Universal restore, thats a program that does'nt care what the drivers are, as when imaging back it deletes the old drivers and allows the image to load using the windows default inbuilt drivers, then you load the drivers concerned for the new components.

feersumendjinn
26-01-2008, 12:43 PM
The pre-m'board image is effectively of little use to you, since you cant use it to restore your computer as it is now (doesnt match your current configuration, probably the same reason why the program cant see your drives now), but I think you can extract files from that image from within Acronis.
I think you would be ok to reinstall True Image but I would wait for the word from Acronis .

CYaBro
26-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I use a program called ShadowProtect by StorageCraft.
It has a feature called HIR (Hardware Independant Restore) which allows you to restore a backup image to totally different hardware from the original.
It does a scan of the hardware and then installs the correct drivers.

Neil McC
26-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Misty, I'd have no hesitation on reinstalling TI. There should be no problem in doing that, and I think it should then pick up the drives.The others are correct in saying that the old image is now no good to restore from, but,don't chuck it for now.

You can use Windows Xplorer (or like) and go into your tib file and copy anything in it that may be needed.Just treat it like any other file.
Just done that for a friend who has just found that all her photos had disappeared on her pc.I do the occasional image/backup for her.
Good luck!

mzee
26-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I had the same problem with 2 computers with dual processors and SATA drives. The rescue disc would only detect IDE.
I had advice from Acronis, tried version 11 (mine is V8), no change.
The answer was very simple. Acronis gives you the option of 2 rescue discs. One with USB support & the other simple for early computers.
The simple one works fine with both computers. The USB on these is on in Bios and the USB support clashes with it. (USB still functions without support).

Computers seem to confuse SATA with USB, evidenced by the fact that SATA drives are shown as removables in the Windows unplug dialogue. Try the simple disc :thumbs:

pctek
26-01-2008, 03:27 PM
This is why I dumped it. They told me its because it loads using Linux, hence driver issues.

Wouldn't be a P35 chipset MB would it? In which case you're doomed.
Its all over their forums with no satisfactory resolution.

Paragon Drive Backup doesn't have any issues with anything and does everything you want.

Customer service from them is miles better than Acronis too.

Misty
28-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Misty, I'd have no hesitation on reinstalling TI. There should be no problem in doing that, and I think it should then pick up the drives.The others are correct in saying that the old image is now no good to restore from, but,don't chuck it for now.

You can use Windows Xplorer (or like) and go into your tib file and copy anything in it that may be needed.Just treat it like any other file.
Just done that for a friend who has just found that all her photos had disappeared on her pc.I do the occasional image/backup for her.
Good luck!
Eventually got everything working - but not straightforward at all ! I was going to back up the tib files but did not have the space anywhere for the 37 gigs needed. Well, did not view that as a major because it was still on my external drive.

I uninstalled Acronis, rebooted, then reinstalled Acronis, then rebooted, then downloaded the update. Acronis could then see the hard drives. However then Acronis did not want to copy to either of the partitions on my external drive. Eventually I decided to risk deleting the old image remaining on one partition. After did that Acronis still did not want to make a fresh image. I think, even though both partitions were showing as empty it was still picking up traces or debris of information. It would start down the path of making a copy of the image but stop part way through and say that the process had not worked .. but I was then left with a tib file of a smaller or lesser size. Deleting and starting again just ended up with the same scenario :mad: :(

Eventually what worked was that I formatted both the partitions on the external drive, then Acronis decided it liked the fresh playing field and all progressed fine ! :) :)

Thanks heaps for your help and support guys :thumbs:
Misty

PS - I am posting this from Ashley, somewhere outside of Rangiora, we are a long way from home

wainuitech
28-01-2008, 12:33 PM
They told me its because it loads using Linux, hence driver issues. So are they ( Acronis) saying that Linux wont see sata drives ?

I'm sure many people who use Linux would disagree with them.