PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Converting my vinyl music to Digital

JohnnyR
26-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I want to convert my collection of LP's to digital. I've heard of two programmes, Audacity and RIP Vinyl, that are available. Does any one have any advice on which is the best to use? And any other useful tips when using either of these?
I'm also in the market for an mp3 player. Any advice on makes and models?

Thanks JR

drcspy
26-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm also in the market for an mp3 player. Any advice on makes and models?

anything except an ipod (damn proprietary hardware/software !)

as for which is best audacity or rip........um......sorry cant help I used syntrillium 'cool edit' years ago to do that job and I think audacity is pretty similar......

gary67
26-01-2008, 09:02 AM
There have been a couple of threads about this subject in the last few of months , have you tried doing a search of the forum for them?

JohnnyR
26-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Gary,

I took your advice and searched...there is some good stuff there.

JR

Speedy Gonzales
26-01-2008, 05:03 PM
anything except an ipod (damn proprietary hardware/software !)

There's more than 1 program you can use with an Ipod.

percyporter
26-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I used a program I downloaded of the net, the name of which escapes me for the moment when I first started converting vinyl some years ago, I suspect there are many more out there now. However as I am now 1 1/2 hours away from the radio station I work for and can't do my show live I had to get something a bit more sophisticated which would be the basis of my own 'recording studio', I now use Adobe Audition, they took over Syntrilliums 'Cool Edit' a few years ago.

It is reasonably inexpensive, certainly for the amount of work I put it too, you can download a free trial for I think 60 days on their website and if you do a search on the local suppliers you can pick it up at a cheaper rate.

ps I still haven't got all my vinyl on cd, be warned if you get a good program which like Audition can do all the "cleaning" then it will take a while allow a good hour for each LP assuming it is 20 minutes a side and muliple tracks.

Alan

Jayess64
28-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I used a program I downloaded of the net, the name of which escapes me for the moment when I first started converting vinyl some years ago, I suspect there are many more out there now. However as I am now 1 1/2 hours away from the radio station I work for and can't do my show live I had to get something a bit more sophisticated which would be the basis of my own 'recording studio', I now use Adobe Audition, they took over Syntrilliums 'Cool Edit' a few years ago.
Alan

I can endorse this - I converted my vinyl collection (~200 records) to CD a few years ago. Started with CoolEdit, then went to Audition.

One thing that has to be dealt with is the 'snap - crackle - pop' you will inevitably encounter. Audition has a plug-in to remove noise, but I found that a better way was to use WaveCor (www.wavecor.co.uk). This is a piece of software that has evolved to try to do everything, but the one thing it can do superbly well is reduce surface 'pops' on vinyls. It introduces an extra processing step - I transferred the vinyl to the computer with Audition, switched to WaveCor to get rid of the noise, then back to Audition to complete the editing. But WaveCor is much faster than Audition for this particular task, and more efficient, and you are in complete control of the whole process.

SurferJoe46
28-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I bought one of these a few months ago: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mp3/90a0/

and then I use Audacity to make it all sound better.

radium
28-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Can you plug your LP/Record player straight into your Line in on your sound card or do you need to pre-amp it first?

SurferJoe46
28-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Can you plug your LP/Record player straight into your Line in on your sound card or do you need to pre-amp it first?

The cartridge on turntables don't make enough signal strength to the LINE-IN jack..so a preamp is necessary...unless you use the USB turntable I got.

I found a cheap preamp at Radio Shack that I tried with good success...but I prefer to use a stand alone device for the actual rips.

Of course...I recommend that you follow the rules of your country and make sure that using such a device is indeed legal.

We have the Millennial Rights Act working for us here in the US ....for a while anyway.

We are allowed to save and play by proxy things that we actually have bought and presently have complete ownership of.

This may NOT be OK in your place of residence. Be careful.

kahawai chaser
29-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I have used cool edit pro 2 (now adobe audition) which is quite advanced with several filters, reverb processes,and pre-made equalizers, and more. One good feature was the noise removal section, which you could apply several sensitivities to effectively remove any noise, hiss, pops and clicks. Also you can create a batch mode (macro) process, which you could apply to several tracks, once they were queued up, and then run the batch program to automate the process to add reverb, amplification, remove noise and so on.

There is also the much simpler Spin It Again (http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/) program, which can split the tracks when copied, edit, and noise and hiss removal...

Misty
29-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Polderbits -

Not free - but you can have a two week free trial to try out. From memory you are/were also allowed a two week free extension on top. I did buy and keep meaning to compare with Audacity but have not done so yet

http://www.polderbits.com/

And filters to improve the sound quality of your recordings.
The Editor has an "Advanced" button that enlarges the Editor window and offers 3 filters;

* A Click and Crackle filter for cleaning vinyl records
* A Noise filter for cassette tape recordings
* An Equalizer to enhance the sound quality for all recordings

All available filters can be switched on and off independently and act immediately (or in "real-time") on your recording. At any time you can switch between the original recording and the results of the filters so you can quickly compare the sound.
Misty :)

masdaman
29-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I just used audacity yesterday to copy my first LP, I found it easy to use. The result was good but a few songs towards the end became highly deteriorated later I released that the needle had become like my grandma's chin
(that is covered in a light fuzz...note clean the needle regularly). Apart from that I highly recommend it.

I used a turntable connected to an amp to my soundcard. Easy as.

Gordon62
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I spotted a device a couple of days ago called AC1-USB Audio Capture Device available from surpluselectronics and styll.co.nz. I just wondered if anyone had tried one of these and what they thought of it. My problem is having no pre-amp on my record deck (Thorens TD 160 Super) and just trying to move all the neccessary gear from the lounge to the computer room is a major headache. They didn't call the Thorens "the brick" for a joke back then- and setting it up then re-setting can take quite a bit of time.
Assuming AC1-USB does what it says it does all I really have to move is the turntable. Any feedback would be appreciated.