PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft intended games on Linux

nzjab06
25-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi again everyone, i am building a new computer but dont want to fork out hundreds just for the os, so, ive decided ill install the latest linux (i believe it is either Ubuntu 10.0 or Fedora 8) I am going to lan the two computers together so i can play games against someone on my other computer. I am just wondering whether my games will actually work on Linux systems since the games were intended fo windows OS's.

pctek
25-01-2008, 07:17 PM
An OEM copy of WIndows is hardly hundreds, especially when you seem to be happy to fork out for hardware.

Good luck trying to game on Linux............

beeswax34
25-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi again everyone, i am building a new computer but dont want to fork out hundreds just for the os, so, ive decided ill install the latest linux (i believe it is either Ubuntu 10.0 or Fedora 8) I am going to lan the two computers together so i can play games against someone on my other computer. I am just wondering whether my games will actually work on Linux systems since the games were intended fo windows OS's.

No, get Windows. It starts at like $149 so its hardly bank breaking.

TGoddard
25-01-2008, 09:37 PM

As long as you have no expectations about Linux being like Windows this may work for you. There are too many people though who install Linux looking to save a few hundred dollars then get wound up and start yelling because things are different. Just make sure you're willing to have things look different, use different applications and learn a few new techniques.

The first thing to be aware of is that there are many Linux-based distributions available. All of them target different groups of people. For learning and getting used to the system you may like to start with Ubuntu or Mepis or something similar. I would especially recommend running the live CD of one of these to try the OS out before you install it. It'll be slow off the CD and data will not be saved between boots but you can at least have a play and learn more about it.

One you've had a play with a live CD, feel free to install it after backing up everything you want to keep from your computer. If you have any questions, there's usually a ready supply of help from people in this forum.

qazwsxokmijn
25-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Windows XP Home OEM is only $127.
Windows Vista Home Premium OEM is only $137.

Take your pick, they're both cheap.

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_14.html#g197

mister harbies
27-01-2008, 10:25 AM
OEM software can only be bought with hardware. Otherwise you have to pay for the OS itself which is more than the OEM price. I don't know how much, the price frightened me last time I looked.

mister harbies
27-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Oh, and there is no Ubuntu 10 that I know of. I'm using the latest Ubuntu which is 7.10.

wainuitech
27-01-2008, 11:23 AM
OEM software can only be bought with hardware. Otherwise you have to pay for the OS itself which is more than the OEM price. I don't know how much, the price frightened me last time I looked. Fully correct :thumbs: As stated in most of the sites from Pricespy Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OEM.jpg)

autechre
28-01-2008, 08:31 AM
That depends on what qualifies as hardware :)
Not too long ago, you would qualify for an OEM license if you "bought" a stick of old RAM or something else equally useless.

wainuitech
28-01-2008, 08:55 AM
That depends on what qualifies as hardware :)
Not too long ago, you would qualify for an OEM license if you "bought" a stick of old RAM or something else equally useless.Many places used the wording - A piece of hardware the Computer can not run with out.

This basically meant the following- as a computer will not run with out -
RAM
Motherbaord
CPU
Hard Drive - for the OS
Power supply

Every thing else a PC will run without - Might be hard to operate, but it will run.

Brooko
28-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I believe the OP's question was which of his Windows games would work under Linux - not which OS he should be using.

nzjab - can you post a list of the games you have and want to run? Can then check and see if there are native linux binaries, or if they run under wine / cedega.

beeswax34
28-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I believe the OP's question was which of his Windows games would work under Linux - not which OS he should be using.

nzjab - can you post a list of the games you have and want to run? Can then check and see if there are native linux binaries, or if they run under wine / cedega.

I think the overwhelming answer he got was, NO, he wouldn't really be able to run games on Linux at all or without considerable effort. What more would you like us to tell him?

wratterus
28-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I think the overwhelming answer he got was, NO, he wouldn't really be able to run games on Linux at all or without considerable effort. What more would you like us to tell him?

Yep.

It's a mission I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone to help you with. Thats the kind of thing an uber l33t Linux guru would try. Someone like Bletch. :p

jason_f90
28-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Ubuntu (maybe PCLinuxOS) would be the most user-friendly Linux distro for you.

You could try running Windows apps & games using Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) but it's not something you'd become an expert at overnight and you don't always get 100% results.

If you're mainly using this new pc for gaming, then Windows is clearly the way to go without all the hassles. :badpc:

Metla
28-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Then he simply asked the wrong question.

Brooko
28-01-2008, 08:51 PM
'K all noted.

Reason I asked is that I've been using Mepis Linux now for 12 months. No, I haven't got anything (games) bleeding edge to run, but I can run Q4, Doom 3 natively (and appears at least as fast as Windows). My wife runs her Hoyle games etc so she's happy. I'm also running Civ4, Il2, Pacific Fighters, HOMM4 etc under Wine. Not that hard to set-up (definitely not as easy as Windows) but they do run pretty well. Also - there are some quite nice Linux apps/games (free) to play around with as well.

I know none of the above are cutting edge & if you want to play Crisis or anything bleeding egde etc, stick with Windows.

But you don't need to be an 'uber-geek' to set a lot of it up now (Linux is making reamarkable strides in useability etc). Like I said in my original post - if he wants to know if his games will run under linux - if he lists them - then maybe a lot of them will. Wouldn't hurt to find out now .... would it?

Metla : Then he simply asked the wrong question.
:lol: Thanks - needed that. :D