PDA

View Full Version : CD-ROM/DVD Double Insertion Problem

SurferJoe46
24-01-2008, 03:39 PM
This happened before...but for some reason I cannot remember the cure or repair..if there was one.

Whenever I push a disc into one of the optical drives (XP-P), it usually pops out again and I have to push it in again.

Twice for one insertion...and it's happening all the time now.

Anybody got any ideas?

wainuitech
24-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Have you installed any CD/DVD writing software lately ? Or upgraded any.

Had this problem a Long time ago,and from memory (could be mistaken but I think it was Nero) it was to do with the writing software. Uninstalled it, and that fixed the problem.

SurferJoe46
24-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Have you installed any CD/DVD writing software lately ? Or upgraded any.

Had this problem a Long time ago,and from memory (could be mistaken but I think it was Nero) it was to do with the writing software. Uninstalled it, and that fixed the problem.

No...nothin' new so far..and the last install is a little old by now.

Yeah...but I was thinkin' that too...but I may have a problem...Nero was installed a long time ago..well, after the last burn-down of the OPSYS that is so it's not a new problem by software I think.

Wonder if it might be that Windows Explorer card that asks if I want to do anything-nothing-ask me when I used to put a disc in? Lately I haven't been seeing that card pop in..for a while anyway..and if MY memory isn't bad...it may be the same time that the new problem started.

It might be something simple like that...I hope..any thoughts?

wainuitech
24-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Wonder if it might be that Windows Explorer card that asks if I want to do anything-nothing-ask me when I used to put a disc in? Lately I haven't been seeing that card pop in..for a while anyway..and if MY memory isn't bad...it may be the same time that the new problem started.

You may have something there - (don't give it to me - :p - Couldn't resist)

Open My Computer, right click the Optical drive/Properties/ Auto Play Tab / Down the bottom is "Prompt me each time to chose an Action", select that and apply/Ok. Heres hoping.

Jen
24-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Whenever I push a disc into one of the optical drives (XP-P), it usually pops out again and I have to push it in againSo it happens with more than one optical drive in the same computer?

beeswax34
25-01-2008, 12:38 AM
No...nothin' new so far..and the last install is a little old by now.

It might be something simple like that...I hope..any thoughts?

Are you talking about Auto-Play? Because its disabled on my computer as well and there's no issues here. The disk just sits there waiting for me to do something.

Have you tried re-installing Nero or any other CD Burning software that you may have?

SurferJoe46
25-01-2008, 10:08 AM
So it happens with more than one optical drive in the same computer?

Yup...both of my DVD R/Ws... ...they both do the same thing...that's why I suspect the software, not a firmware or hardware problem.

I believe that I have the same settings in all three of my desktops right now..and yet this one is the only one acting so. The other two also have dual DVD R/Ws too.

Gonna try a reinstall of Nero...or maybe (dare I say it?) DVD Shrink....

feersumendjinn
25-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I remember something from a while back about a prankware type virus that did this to piss you off, might pay to give it a scan or two.

SurferJoe46
25-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah...but that's so obvious that I totally forgot it..thanks.

And another thing...DVD Shrink has been cranking a lot longer to encode videos lately..wonder what's up with that?

Bantu
25-01-2008, 08:09 PM
DVD burner might be on its way out SJ.
You getting any read errors with it at all?

SurferJoe46
26-01-2008, 05:33 AM
DVD burner might be on its way out SJ.
You getting any read errors with it at all?

Hmmmm...OK, but then again, NO....no read errors.

I HAVE had cyclic redundancy problems before this all happened..and that was aggravating...but that is livable I guess.

I tried to read/rip/burn a legally-owned DVD and it took a really long time to read and encode it, but the actual burn time was right like normal. It was the encoding part that took forever.

So...I tried to re-rip/re-burn the same ripped DVD and it worked normally.

(Remember that I am in the US and so far the right to archival copies of use-by-proxy laws is not infringed..but that's today..it might change at any moment).

Maybe it's some new encryption or DRM that I am fighting...

As far as the double insertion part..it hasn't changed for the better of worse.

I think the speed of ripping is not related to the double insertion...but I am working on it.

NOTE: If I have a program like DVD-Shrink running and it asks for a blank disc, then the double insertion thing doesn't happen.

If I insert a CD with music on it and have told WMP10 to rip upon insertion, then I get the double insertion problem. This is when WMP10 is NOT running first.

WMP10 is SUPPOSED to self-start and just go about ripping as instructed when any music CDs are inserted. It isn't co-operating with that command nowadays.

When I have WMP10 actually running just waiting for a command, then I don't get the double insertion and the rip starts normally.

I'm gonna go fishing and think for a while. It's snowing in the local mountains right now.

ughnz
26-01-2008, 05:36 PM
The double insertion thing is normally caused by a fault with tray sensors. I had a samsung drive do the same thing and a good blow out fixed it as it looked like dust had built up around the sensors that sensed the tray all the way in and out.