View Full Version : How to get rid of a corupted file on the desktop

23-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I have an interesting problem on a windows xp home machine.
About 6 months ago my sister sent me a forwarded email via the old xtra webmail. The forwarded email was sent as an attachment and contained a video clip but had no file extension. I saved this email attachment to the desktop renamed as *.eml and opened in the normal way with that most hated programme "outlook express" and all worked normaly. Then went to delete from the desktop and found 2 files there The renamed file deleted ok but the other still had the unmodified name of " FW_ Last day on the job.... " and a size of 0 bytes. In 6 months this has resisted all attempts to delete copy rename etc. All attempts return the error message "cant read source disk"
I am positive this is not a mallware and fairly certain there was no mallware on the system when it happened. The file is visible in the documentsand settings/desktop folder from windows and also from bootable linux cds. I havnt tried to remove via linux as I believe there are still issues writing from linux to ntfs.
One option that I know will work is a format but this is only an icon on the desktop and apart from takeing up space and making setting up backups a little harder is not worth spending the time needed for a full reinstall etc.
any thoughts please

23-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Have you tried ccleaner from Wainiu's sig?

23-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

You should be able to delete that file using the Linux CD as you are not writing to NTFS with it.

Otherwise, a program called MoveOnBoot (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html) has been recommend here many times.

Let us know how you get on.

23-01-2008, 08:42 PM
ccleaner has already been tryed at the advise of a friend. It dis a marvelous job of speeding up my system with its registry tweaks but nothing for this problem

23-01-2008, 08:48 PM
hi jen
I havent tryed move on boot but have tryed killbox which sounds virtualy the same. The file isnt locked by an application. I think it is in the ntfs table but not actually on the disk.
re the linux idea. I thought the problems that can occur with linux and ntfs happed when deleting files. A deletion is still writing to the disk isnt it?

23-01-2008, 08:54 PM
You should be fine still if you are using a recent Linux release. What one do you have?

23-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I have ubuntu 7.10 from the latest pcworld and pclinuxos which was downloaded about 3 months ago. this featured on the august apc mag
which one would you recomend?

23-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Either of those two should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to do a backup of essential files before hand *just in case*. I've deleted/move/saved to NTFS under Linux ages ago back when NTFS support was considered more flakey. NTFS support is much more robust and mature nowadays.

23-01-2008, 09:24 PM
You can try this- may work - start the PC in safe mode, press F8 on startup, select safe mode, when you go to log in use administrator.

Double click " My Computer" double click the HD ( normally C) go to Documents and settings / ( persons User Account Name) / Desktop - locate the offending files, right click delete. This sometimes works. Reboot as normal

23-01-2008, 09:25 PM
will try this and come back with the answer tomorrow
thanks for the advise Ive already tryed this though.

23-01-2008, 11:01 PM
You should be able to boot XP in Safe Mode (press F8 before Windows starts). Right-click on the folder and click Properties. Click the Security tab, and ignore the message (Click OK). Click Advanced and click the Owner tab. Choose your name from the Name list. Tick "Replace owner on sub-containers and objects" and click OK. Click yes to the warning that appears. Hope this helps.

24-01-2008, 08:56 AM
If none of the above works try this - Did a bit of searching and This Program (http://www.jrtwine.com/products/dfxp/index.htm) was mentioned many times. Delete FXP. Have a read of the guff on the site it's meant to remove stubborn files like yours, and explains why they wont remove also.
Many times, these kinds of files/directories are the direct result of getting "tagged", which can happen if your system is exposed to the Internet. This usually results in various folders and/or files being created that contain reserved identifiers and confuse Windows Explorer, making it difficult to delete them.

I Direct Download (http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/DeleteFXPFilesInstall.zip) the Program and installed it, ignore the warning saying its a upgrade, mine installed perfectly. Ran it and removed several files, C: documents settings etc to Desktop, select and remove, even a reboot option if really stubborn. Ignore the licensing costs the one I linked to works fine.

24-01-2008, 05:01 PM
delete fxp worked thanks
It didnt show the file as suspect but was able to delete it anyway.