PDA

View Full Version : Network Ubuntu through XP

sarum
21-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello. I've 2 computers Ubuntu and XP, they each had an external dial-up modem and all was well; untill I got broad band: (xnet) and DSE's cheapest (usb) ADSL modem. Modem and xnet and XP work very well but not Linux.
In my dial-up days I used Ubuntu all the time (except for a couple of card games), but now I've tasted broad band things aren't so good.
I'm open to suggestions, but my plan would be to net work the 2 computers. Each has an NICard. I have a cross-over cable, and XP has a proxy short cut on the desk top. I think all this should allow Ubuntu to access the internet through XP - if only I knew how. Can anyone point me in the right direction; FAQ or a Linux friendly (as in 'out of the box') modem. Thanks

dugimodo
21-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Any modem / router with an ethernet port is fine, if you get one with a built in hub as well even better. Each pc then plugs into it's own port and away you go.

This type of setup is one of the easiest to get working, you can use most routers as a DHCP server and set your pc's to obtain a network address automatically and that's just about it.

When I tried Ubuntu last it detected my network connection and was on the net without any input from me, even booting from a live cd

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I wouldnt trust USB for a start.

If this modem has ethernet ports, you dont need the crossover cable. Remove it.

Just plug the cable from the PC running Ubuntu into it.

WHAT did you plug the Ubuntu PC cable into??

You dont need any proxy in XP.

sarum
22-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your replies both of you. From an FAQ on this site I have configured XP; and from Ubuntu I can now get pings. Even though XP claims that the LAN cable is unplugged. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again

Pete O'Neil
22-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you got a particular model number or brand for the DSE modem? I dont fancy your chances of getting a USB modem to work under Linux but if you made the jump to a router/modem combo it should be a peice of cake.

While its cheaper to simply use a crossover cable and Windows ICS the better option is to return the DSE modem and invest the extra few dollars needed in a router/modem/switch unit.

Rod J
22-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks for your replies both of you. From an FAQ on this site I have configured XP; and from Ubuntu I can now get pings. Even though XP claims that the LAN cable is unplugged. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks again

Are you sure XP thinks the cable is unplugged? I suspect your cable connection may be faulty. XP should see the cable as plugged in as soon as power is applied to the other PC. I have two PC's linked together via a crossover cable myself, and the only time XP thinks the cable is unplugged is when the other PC is turned off. The other PC doesn't need to be running anything at all, it's simply a physical electrical connection that's required (or so I think, maybe someone more knowledgeable could confirm this).