PDA

View Full Version : DNS problem on home network

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey,
On my home network I'm running one of telecoms free dlink DSL-502T adsl modems, linked into a 5port CNET 1000/100mbit switch and that is also linked to a dlink 100/10mbit switch and a dlink wireless AP.

I have what seems to be a problem with the DNS. I can't ping my flatmates computers by their computer name and vice versa, but i can ping by IP address. and to access shares on each others computers instead of going to run and typing \\computername it only works if we use \\192.168.0.X if i got to network places, only our own computers show up under workgroup. (all computers are under 'workgroup')

mine and flatmates computers are plugged into the CNET gigabit switch, the extra dlink switch is for the xbox in the lounge and a couple of other pc's. the DHCP is enabled on the adsl router (so visitors don't have to manually assign themselves IPs) but we use static IP addresses for port forwarding and such.

I have a feeling that it might be because we're using static IPs and DHCP is enabled but that's never given me a problem before. I should also mention that the DHCP on the wireless router is turned off and the wireless router has a static IP address.

all of our computers are running XP pro with SP2 and a couple dual boot linux.

sorry if i've forgot to mention anything

so any idea's?

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2008, 10:31 AM
You dont usually ping by computer name.

Only ip address. So thats normal

I just tried it here. It doesnt work either.

Did u create and share a folder?? Then try and access it?

Is simple file sharing unticked on both?

Any firewalls installed?

I dont think DNS is the prob. Unless one of them cant get on the internet.

Whats the default ip of this router??

Is it 10.x.x.x or 192.168..x.x?

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 10:41 AM
we use zone alarm but have allowed each others computers through. simple file sharing is disabled on both pc's, we've added appropriate security rights to our shared folders. oh i forgot to mention that once you ping the other persons computer, you can then access it by typing the computer name but it's really slow, quicker just to go \\192.168.0.x . this problem has only just happened recently in the last month or two, i can't think of why?

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Disable Zonealarm for now, see if it makes any diff.

Then we'll know if ZA is the main prob.

WHAT did you add to ZA?? The subnet / mask etc, or just the ips on both PC's?

The 1st would be better.

Did you use its wizard, or did you add the ips in ZA manually?

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 10:54 AM
oops, i havn't tried disabling zone alarm! should have done that thanks speedy. I've added them to ZA manually with their ip address + subnet mask.
I'm at work atm so can't test just yet

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I would delete the ips you added.

And use its wizard to bring up the network cards on both.

The name of the NICS should appear, with the subnet / mask etc, then add them.

It may work then.

Bantu
21-01-2008, 02:02 PM
You dont usually ping by computer name.

Only ip address. So thats normal

Either by computer name or IP should work fine Speedy, it always has for me. Not case sensitive either.

Bantu
21-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Jimmy Try setting the Gateway IP on your computer. This would be the IP of your Router.

I also always have the ISP's DNS server IP's set on all my computers

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 02:12 PM
my DNS and Gateway ip's are the ip of the router (192.168.0.1). I can change my dns ip's to my isp's ones but they're the same in the router. the internet is working fine. i may have titled the thread wrong.

SolMiester
21-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Either by computer name or IP should work fine Speedy, it always has for me. Not case sensitive either.

Unless you have a DNS server which has the computername and IP address of all the pc's in your home network, the only way you will get a response is via IP address, NOT computer names....

Bantu
21-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Yes that is possible, I might have set those on my router, can't remember.

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 02:22 PM
shouldn't the router store host names and ip addresses?

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2008, 02:39 PM
shouldn't the router store host names and ip addresses?

Dont know about ALL routers.

But this one stores the host names and ips of these.

It doesnt matter if the ips are automatically assigned, or entered manually.

But at the mo, these are static ips, because in order to forward ports for whatever, you have to have static ip addresses.

Only way to find out, is to log into the router

And see if the ips / hostnames are there

Jimmy D
21-01-2008, 02:44 PM
if it doesn't store host names it should push out a request to all the computers connected to the network when a host name is requested.

i can log into my router from work, its a dsl-502t. here are lan clients

Static Addresses
IP Address Host Names Type
192.168.0.2 jimmy Static
Dynamic Addresses
IP Address Host Names Type
none

the static ip address is my computer (currently on), as your can see it has my host name (jimmy). none of my flatmates computers are on unfortunately

i will try playing with ZA when i get home this avo

SolMiester
21-01-2008, 02:49 PM
If your addresses are static, you the hosts file to input the computernames and IP addresses found at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc as shown

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Jimmy D
25-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I recently formatted my computer and freshly installed xp, we've also got a new flatmate in that has a fresh copy of xp and the network is working fine between us, it is our other flatmates computer that was causing the problem (he's not using ZA, using windows firewall), he's planning to do a fresh install of xp as well so all shall be well. thanks for your support guys