PDA

View Full Version : Need to insert OS cd for com to open

gza
21-01-2008, 09:35 AM
:confused:

Boot up com,eventually the 'Compaq' logo dissapears,screen turns black,a flashing cursor top left corner for up to a minute,then I am presented with the following text on screen: "DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
I insert XP Home cd into DVD ram drive,hit enter,& then after some time I'll get text either informing me that "Setup is inspecting my computer" meaning that a OS install is under way,or I get the text "Press any key to boot from cd"
Takes at least 5 minutes to get com to desktop stage.
On the former text I eject cd & start the process again.On the latter text I don;t press any key & voila!, I get the Win XP Home screen and on to openup.
Eventually the com will settle down & open without this messabout.Till it starts it again.
I've had this mallarky with it for maybe 5 months now.
Today I had to reinstall OS to my slave HDD because yesterday I'd received message at bootup telling me "WARNING. Primary HDD Status Bad.Backup Drive As Failure Imminent".So I backed up all to an 80GB slave drive,and as it was partioned into 5 logial drives I created an unformatted Active partition onto which I could install OS.

When installing the OS to this new partition & the set up gets to the stage where it shuts down 1st time to reopen later & continue installation, this is where the problems start.
I'm presented yet again with the same situation to begin with: "DISK BOOT FAILURE,...."
Insert cd,waitand see whats going to happen. It can go either way,but if I get the "Press any key...." & of course 'don't' do that,the istallation goes to completion.

To leave me with this annoyance of having to drop the OS cd in the slot if reboot is required or restarting com.
Sometimes HDD not found in BIOS so I have to go check conections.Erratic?

HDD is sound. 6 months old.Shows 100% performance,reliabilty& stability when tested with "HDD Inspector Pro"
New 80 Connecter Cable 2weeks ago

Norton Partition Manager informs that EPBR (boot sector scattered I think it means,not sure though) is at fault and asks if I want for it to fix it.Click yes but it no fix it!?
Checked HD Disk 1 today with Norton Rescue disks.No errors found in any partition
AVG7.5 scan reports:
File Result/Infection Path
'Partition table(MBR) Change
Boot sector of disk Change C
No virus found

Any ideas as to what may be causing this to happen??
I'd love to know,believe me,so all advisers welcomed.
Thanks in advance.( and for reading my lonnggg 'Q')

HP Compaq Presario S3010AN (desktop-3 1/2yrs from new even though 6-7yrs old)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.67GHz
MoBo: FIC KM266
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies-AM37 3.20
RAM: 768MB DDR 266 (1x512 1x256)both Memtest good
PSU: Bestec 250W
Chipset: VIA KM266-8325
HDD: WDC 800 (80GB) 7200rpm IDE ATA
Optics: Asus DRW 1814BL DL QuieTrack Lightscribe Multi
Monitor: Philips 170S LCD Flatscreen

Sweep
21-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Change the CMOS battery. Looks like the BIOS keeps dropping the settings.

gza
22-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Sweep; thanks for that advice..I overlooked that possibility.I'll get a new battery tomorrow.
Strange thing is that today I managed to get the com to open without any problem by adding a slave drive! The slave HDD I have just blanked completely & com still opens.Don't know why this is,perhaps because there was a slave present when I loaded the OS.When it happened I remembered that I've been thru this scenario before with it,but had forgotten it.
I've had quite a few 'strange ' happenings with com lately,like hybid OS's believe it or not,"Windows cannot open[,\<Windows root>System32\HAL.DLL missing or corrupt.Re-install"; Using the Norton Partition Magic Rescue disks I've had; 'Operations-"Error 1516, Partition improperly dismounted". In AVG 7.5(free) I've had it ask me to enter a license key & to pay:& in scan results there are:-
Partition Table(MBR): Change/// Boot sector of disk:Change ///C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe: Change , or invalid ,,all sorts.
Will replace battery as you advised,remove the RAW slave HDD,see how it goes,and hope that I dont have to do a complete re-install OS et al.

Cheers, much obliged. :thumbs:

pctek
22-01-2008, 08:55 AM
"DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I've had this mallarky with it for maybe 5 months now.

Sometimes HDD not found in BIOS so I have to go check conections.Erratic?

HDD is sound. 6 months old.Shows 100% performance,reliabilty& stability when tested with "HDD Inspector Pro"

HDD: WDC 800 (80GB) 7200rpm IDE ATA

Test the drive with Western Digitals test software for starters.
I can't believe anyone would leave this for 5 months!!!

gza
31-01-2008, 10:35 PM
a new cmos battery sorted out the problem.
cheers