PDA

View Full Version : file names ?

10-04-2001, 10:41 AM
Can you tell me what the folder 'config.msi' might be for? it contains numerous files with rbf. file name extensions. How can I tell whether a file is doing anything or whether it is old and no longer required?
Thanks

10-04-2001, 12:30 PM
I am not totally certain but I believe it is a function of Office 2000. Try renaming the folder to config.old and see if Office works OK. I think you will find that it wont. I will be interested to see what other replies you get because mine has 13260 files and takes up 308Mb of HDD so it would be great to be able to get rid of it.
Cheers

10-04-2001, 12:50 PM
It is safe to delete, it should have deleted itself during installation of office 2000 :) heres the official word

'Rollback script files (.rbs and .rbf) are backups of existing files. Files with a .rbs file extension are rollback script files and files with a .rbf file extension are backups of existing files, both are stored in hidden folders called Config.msi. The Config.msi folders are created when Msiexec.exe starts copying from the installation point. The rollback script file (.rbs) is always stored in the Config.msi folder on the disk where the operating system is installed. The .rbf files are stored in the Config.msi folder located on the disk where the program that is being backed up currently resides. This is done so there is no crossing of disks when backing up the program files. All rollback files and the Config.msi folder are deleted when the installation completes successfully.

Note: If Setup fails, because you lost power during Setup for example, and you run setup again and it completes successfully, the config.msi folder will be removed. If Setup fails to remove this folder you can manually remove it using Windows Explorer. '

11-04-2001, 03:09 PM
Thankyou for your answer- that is so helpful. It makes me wonder what other junk is filling up my space. I wish that programmes would list for us what all these files are and which ones can safely be removed. Do you know of any site that provides these sorts of clues-would be very useful? Thanks again.