PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD writer problems

R.M.
20-01-2008, 01:20 PM
This morning I put a music cd into the drive - and it was 'missing' and 'skipping' while playing, so after searching on this forum I then went to Dick Smith and bought a dry laser cleaner disc. I followed the instructions - inserted into the drive and pressed 'play'. It DIDN'T. It did however, work in the TV DVD player - so it does work there.

My questions are:
Should it clean my computer DVD reader/writer drive?
What am my missing?
Do I need a new optical drive?

The current drive (LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S ) has given me sterling service - how DARE it pack a sad on me!

As always - TIA.
R.M. :)

wainuitech
20-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Does it only skip etc on this One Music CD - or does it do it to all music CD's ?

R.M.
20-01-2008, 01:43 PM
No - more than one BUT not on commercial discs, only homeburnt ones. Bother...

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 01:45 PM
So, what program did u use??

To make the music cd's?

R.M.
20-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Quintessential Player & WIndows Media Player 9. There is the odd skip/pause on the commercial disc, but much less than on the 'homedone' ones.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Quintessential Player & WIndows Media Player 9. There is the odd skip/pause on the commercial disc, but much less than on the 'home done ones.

You used these to play them on?

What program/s did you use to burn (not play) the music cd's?

R.M.
20-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Oops - sorry! :blush:

Nero 6.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Hmm ok and did you select MP3 or Audio CD in Nero, NOT data CD??

Thats if you want the cd to play in a normal cd as well.

Did u try it in a normal cd player, if you made an audio cd (or MP3 cd), if your standalone cd player can play MP3 cd's?

R.M.
20-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Aha - that gives clues to solutions to other unmentioned problems!

No - I didn't select mp3 or Audio CD, I just 'copied' so, no I didn't try it on a normal cd player.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Well you have to select Audio CD (then add the MP3's to it, you'll only get maybe 17-18 MP3's on a CD).

Or MP3 CD (If your stereo / standalone CD/DVD player can play MP3's, you'll get around 200-250 MP3's on a CD).

You dont copy MP3's across to the cd.

R.M.
20-01-2008, 02:31 PM
No - I don't copy/burn mp3s - just cda format.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 02:36 PM
So, WHAT exactly are you trying to do??

Rip cds to make MP3's??

Or the other way round?? Burn MP3's you've got to cd??

It sounds like you want to make MP3's from cd's?

If you are trying to rip music from the cd/s, you dont copy them either.

In Nero, you go to extras / save tracks I think it is. Select the format and path.

And just fill in the gaps.

R.M.
20-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh dear...

I'm trying to 'copy' (I suppose rip) a commercial cd and play it in either the computer or the car player.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Well you click on save tracks then , give a folder to rip the songs to, not copy it. Thats if it works.

Then to reverse that (so you can burn to another cd), use Audio CD (and add the MP3's this cd created). Then burn it.

If you've done it right (and if the rip works - it may not), it should play in anything.

R.M.
20-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Right then - thanks for that info. Appreciated. :)

Now then - back to the original questions?

Why doesn't the DVD cleaner work in my computer optical drive?

And is my current drive nearing the end of it's life?

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2008, 05:17 PM
The skipping maybe what its meant to do (since youre trying to copy / rip the cd).

Depending on how recent this cd is.

It may have something on it, (as in protection), to stop people ripping the songs on it properly.

R.M.
20-01-2008, 06:23 PM
No - previously it played just fine. It is certainly not a new disc (either the original or the copy) - 20 solid gold hits - songs of the 60s I think! I do realise that it would have been recorded more recently than that! I would doubt that it has much in the way of protection.

Thanks for your comments. :)

wainuitech
20-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Easy way to find out if its the Drive. Grab another drive from someone if you don't have a spare, plug it in ( leave it hanging out the side of the PC) load the offending Music CD and see what happens.

R.M.
21-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't have anyone else's drive available (those sort of people in my life live in another place). BUT the offending disc plays just ok in my neighbours PC. So I'm left with the thought it might just be my optical drive starting to pack a sad.

Thanks to all for your comments. :)

wratterus
21-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Did anyone suggest checking the DMA status?

R.M.
21-01-2008, 07:48 PM
How do I do that? (Sorry to be so glaikit!)

BUT the disc used to play just fine - no it isn't. I also hear whizzing noises in the optical drive that I didn't hear before either. :(

wratterus
21-01-2008, 07:54 PM
http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

Scroll down on that page.

No worries, I don't expect you to know how to do that, I was just wondering if anyone had got you to check it yet :)

It should be the secondary controller, device 0 that you need to check.

Should be DMA Mode, not PIO.

R.M.
21-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Right oh... I'll read that tomorrow I think. It's bedtime now.

I went to my laptop (why did I take so long to think of that!) - saved and burnt as to Speedys instructions above - and hey it is just great - now playing beautifully on my potentially stuffed player/burner. So where does that leave me?

Good night and thanks for that. :)