PDA

View Full Version : NETWORKING DESKTOP TO LAPTOP

GAZA
20-01-2008, 12:53 PM
hi there, I am trying to network my Desktop which is running Windows xp and my laptop which is running Vista they both have internet connect through a Wireless ADSL2+ router, the desktop connect through to it via cable and my laptop thur wireless, how can i network these two computers, please help thak you
Gaza

Bantu
20-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Gaza did you search the forum. There is enough on networking here to fill a PC World magazine.

Firstly use a unique computer name for each. Same Workgroup name on both. Ping one from the other and visa versa.

Can your wired PC get on the internet when hooked to the router?
If yes then just a matter of following the directions to set up your wireless laptop.

GAZA
20-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Gaza did you search the forum. There is enough on networking here to fill a PC World magazine.

Firstly use a unique computer name for each. Same Workgroup name on both. Ping one from the other and visa versa.

Can your wired PC get on the internet when hooked to the router?
If yes then just a matter of following the directions to set up your wireless laptop.

hi there, yes both are connected to the internet via the router, from the desktop i have created (well hoping) a network using the network wizard, but then come to the lap top i am not sure how to connect to this network created on my desktop using Vista, i am no good when it comes to technical things on computers, sorry it may seem easy to you but hell of a lot of confusing talk to me on how to get my laptop to pick the desktop network up.

Other thing is I went to ping each computer but they both had the same IP address??? whats with that.thank you

wainuitech
20-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Could write it out but I'm being lazy :lol: :p

SO- Copied from MS Help Site

If your network is wireless, run the Set up a Wireless Router or Access Point wizard on the computer attached to the router.

Open Set Up a Wireless Router or Access Point by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center. In the left pane, click Set up a connection or network, and then click Set up a wireless router or access point.

The wizard will walk you through the process of adding other computers and devices to the network.

Also Here is the site (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-NZ/Help/76174f4a-7522-425a-9424-324dd299265e1033.mspx) It gives you lots of Information.

NOTE: If your Wireless is transmitting OK , if you look down near the clock , you should see an Icon looking for wireless networks ( make sure the Wireless detection is turned on in the laptop) usually a small off/on switch on some laptops on the side/edge. Double click the Icon and it should show available networks - select yours and connect. If the security is enabled you will be asked for the password you created.

PS: Welcome to Press F1 Gaza

Bantu
20-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Icon on the Desktop called My Computer. Right click it and choose Properties.
Choose Computer Name tab.
"Full Name for Computer" should be different for each.
"Workgroup" should be the same for each.

Click on Start button, Choose Run, type in cmd and press enter.
Type in ipconfig /all

This should show you the current IP address and Subnet mask and the Gateway's IP (Your Router's IP) assuming both are getting their IP from the Router's DHCP Server.

Both Should have different IP, same Subnet mask and same Gateway.

Wahdee
20-01-2008, 03:59 PM
To get Vista and XP communicating on your network -
Xp needs LLTD to be installed.
Vista has LLTD by default.

On XP go to -

Start/Control Panel
double click - Network Connections
right click - Local Area Connection
choose - Properties
in the - This connection uses the following items: box
look for - Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder.

If it is not there -

google LLTD
choose the MS entry starting - Download details....

follow on from there.

beeswax34
20-01-2008, 11:37 PM
To get Vista and XP communicating on your network -
Xp needs LLTD to be installed.
Vista has LLTD by default.

On XP go to -

Start/Control Panel
double click - Network Connections
right click - Local Area Connection
choose - Properties
in the - This connection uses the following items: box
look for - Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder.

If it is not there -

google LLTD
choose the MS entry starting - Download details....

follow on from there.

I don't think it needs LLTD. All my XP computers talk to the Vista one and I have never had to install ANYTHING for them to do so.

wainuitech
21-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't think it needs LLTD. All my XP computers talk to the Vista one and I have never had to install ANYTHING for them to do so. Second That - never had a problem with XP Hm or Pro talking to Vista or the other way around