PDA

View Full Version : PC just wont start up, video card noisy

Vicx
19-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Got a new video card yesterday, used it for a few hours, shut down and used it again a few hours later. Been off since 5pm yesterday and now my PC just wont start up. At first it made a beep for 1 second, then pause for 1 second and repeat, the manual said it's either the video card isn't inserted properly or theres a problem with the motherboard.

So I took it out and made sure it was inserted properly and tried again, but then it wouldn't even beep anymore, I couldn't even turn it off by holding the power or reset button, I could only turn it off by switching off the PSU. The video card (8800gts) also makes that loud noise from the fan when the PC first boots up, but it doesn't stop. I also noticed the CPU fan sometimes stopped and started again by itself while everything else was still running.

I've tried unplugging the DVD and sound card, no luck.
I don't have on-board video or a spare video card so I don't know what to do.

Asus A8N-E, Enermax 485w, 8800gts 512mb

wainuitech
19-01-2008, 11:02 PM
The CPU fan could be on whats called smart Fan control - its designed to turn off / on until the CPU gets to a certain temp , then turn on.

The Graphic Card - What did you have in before as you mentioned
Got a new video card yesterday

Try removing the Video Card, turn on the PC - you should hear a series of beeps indicating there is no card - Does this happen ?

I have not looked this up for this particular card - but does the video card have a power plug on it, some cards need to be plugged into the PSU as well?

wainuitech
19-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Update to above - Just downloaded a manual for the 8800GTS, according to the manual the card does need a power adaptor - as shown Here in this photo (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Power_Adaptor.jpg) - assuming your card is the same, make sure it is powered up. If you dont have a power connector attached, check to see if there is a power socket.

This could be causing the fan noise, as the card simply doesn't have the power to run.

Vicx
20-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I went from a 320mb 8800gts to 512mb 8800gts. Both cards needed the power adapter, didn't forget to plug that in, and it worked for a whole day, it just stopped working the next day so I've got no idea why it suddenly stopped working.

I tried taking out the video card, but I don't hear any noises and it still doesn't turn off properly (I have to switch off the PSU).

Before I took the video card out the motherboard was making a beeping noise, but once I put it back in it just doesn't respond anymore. I think my motherboard's dead, but how could that happen, and why did it stop reading the video card a day after? Could it be my PSU? I thought my Enermax 485w would be enough, it had been for my last 8800gts for a month.

wainuitech
20-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Cold be either the MotherBoard or PSU.

First I'd be trying a different PSU - doesn't have to be a top of the line powerful one, simply one that will power it up to either eliminate it, or confirm its faulty.

The board not beeping any more could be because its not getting the power from the PSU - or it could be faulty. You could try removing then replacing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, but I doubt if this will really help.

Components, no matter which brand or age can fail, sometimes for what appears to be no real reason.

I thought my Enermax 485w would be enough, it had been for my last 8800gts for a month. That comment ? Not to sure exactly what you mean by that :confused: - Do you mean you had the smaller card for only a month then changed it to the one you now have ? Seems a bit odd to only have a good powered card for only a month.
I went from a 320mb 8800gts to 512mb 8800gts If so can you try the old card, or can we assume you no longer have it ?

Was there any problems (anything) with the old card installed, something may have gotten damaged in the change over.

Vicx
20-01-2008, 02:10 PM
That comment ? Not to sure exactly what you mean by that :confused: - Do you mean you had the smaller card for only a month then changed it to the one you now have ? Seems a bit odd to only have a good powered card for only a month. If so can you try the old card, or can we assume you no longer have it ?

I only used it for a month to play Crysis, but I wasn't satisfied so I upgraded to the new G92 8800GTS. Already sent the old card away to the new owner.

Was there any problems (anything) with the old card installed, something may have gotten damaged in the change over.

everything worked fine with the old card. I think I know what the problem is. The southbridge cooler was touching the video card, last time I saw it, it looked a bit crooked so I think the video card dislodged it from the chipset and caused it to overheat, that must be it.