PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Remover

smithie 38
19-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi folks.

I downloaded Rogue Remover some months ago and run it regularly. Each time it says it did not detect any items.

However each time I click on "Scan" it takes about a second to scan the files, folders etc, before giving me the okay. Is this speed in scanning my computer normal, as I really cannot see it doing its job properly in that short space of time.

Just curious - Smithie

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2008, 08:43 AM
I think it only scans known folders and parts of the registry.

For whatever programs / rogue software in its database. NOT everything.

Its not a virus scanner. Its for rogue software.

smithie 38
19-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks S.G. for your reply.

I was really curious, but now you have explained what it really does, I am quite happy to carry on running it regularly.

Cicero
19-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi folks.

I downloaded Rogue Remover some months ago and run it regularly. Each time it says it did not detect any items.

However each time I click on "Scan" it takes about a second to scan the files, folders etc, before giving me the okay. Is this speed in scanning my computer normal, as I really cannot see it doing its job properly in that short space of time.

Just curious - Smithie

So download this and get a good malware scan

http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/0,139024478,10634478s,00.htm

Courtesy Wainui.

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2008, 09:08 AM
The only programs it scans for are under programs targeted. NOTHING else.

Most of these programs claim they do something useful, (they dont).

And if you download the program / and install it. You'll get popups and windows on your screen, saying you have to pay for it, (when in fact the program doesnt or wouldnt do anything even if you purchased it).

Which is why theyre called rogue software. They pretend to be useful / and do something. When if fact, all they do, is put crap on your system to annoy you. And tell you to buy it.

pctek
19-01-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.zdnet.com.au/downloads/0,139024478,10634478s,00.htm

Courtesy Wainui.

Um.
Been doing tests lately. I found this misses quite a bit.

Cicero
19-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Um.

Is there anything that doesn't miss something.
?? that we should all know about.!

Speedy Gonzales
19-01-2008, 05:31 PM
No, nothing is 100%

You would need more than 1 program.

Altho ways to avoid nasties are:

Dont use P2P programs.

This is probably what most people use, who get infected with something.

Dont download pirated software

Check Google/Yahoo, BEFORE you install dodgy / rogue software

Keep Windows (If you use Windows) up to date, you may have less chance of getting infected with something.

Dont be slack on updating, you'll be the one who suffers.

Use a decent AV program.

Use a decent firewall. Altho, I'm not using one at the mo.

If I was into P2P, I would use one.

wainuitech
19-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Um.

No antispyware catches every thing - I have had seen it several times when Spybot says a PC is clean - then Adaware or Spyware doctor, or super Antispyware detects infections.

If you use several in combination then it usually gets most.

Had that the other day, ran spybot - cleaned out a few, ran spyware doc and located more, ran super and detected more. Its never ending. - but it pays the bills :p

willbry
20-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Cicero asks whether there is anything else we should know about and Speedy you say nothing is 100% perfect - well after looking at a slightly different posting the other day regarding the best anti virus programme, I followed a recommendation and down loaded "Antivir". I have like many F1 contributers been a constant user of AVG and it regularly gives me a clean bill of health but after the first full scan using the new Antivir programme, it detected 5 viruses - so Speedy you are quite right, Our tried and true AVG isn't flawless.
Just thought I'd pass this on to AVG devotees. By the way neither antivirus programme seems to conflict with the other Both it appears can co-exist in one's system.

pctek
20-01-2008, 03:58 PM
No antispyware catches every thing -
If you use several in combination then it usually gets most.

Yes I know that. And although I have loads on my own machines, I try to keep the number down for customers as it scares them the idea of having to run loads of them.

So I test. Get some massively infested PC, run the lot, note whats found, don't clean, run the others etc.

What finds the most gets my votes.
Of course thats never only one product. But I try to keep it to 3.

Spybot is still a good product to include, so thats one.
Adaware used to be number 2, but I haven't tested the 2007 one properly yet.

So testing continues. Spyware Doctor was tested and I didn't like how many common things it missed.

Oh and this of the free stuff, I have separate tests for pay ones, but most customers don't want pay ones.

sal
20-01-2008, 05:51 PM
...after looking at a slightly different posting the other day regarding the best anti virus programme, I followed a recommendation and down loaded "Antivir". I have like many F1 contributers been a constant user of AVG and it regularly gives me a clean bill of health but after the first full scan using the new Antivir programme, it detected 5 viruses...
I've recommended AntiVir over AVG here a few times. It usually rates up with Kaspersky, sometimes better than NOD32 in some scenarios.

I know it's beside the point of this thread, but the problem I have with these programs is that, to flog an analogy, prevention is better than the cure. Some have real-time scanning, but the focus is still on regular scans, etc, etc. I know most people don't like loading up on background processes, but if you're scanning regularly and finding malware now and then, you should probably look into using something like Haute Secure (http://www.hautesecure.com/).

wainuitech
20-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Totally Agree with every thing you say Pctek - 100 % :thumbs: I do similar testing - look at the good side - aways work I spose

Out of interest , have you ever tried or used webroots Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-spysweeper.html) It used to be good, but I'm finding its missing bugs as well now.

pctek
20-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Out of interest , have you ever tried or used webroots Spysweeper (http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-spysweeper.html) It used to be good, but I'm finding its missing bugs as well now.

Yes although not recently.

I also use Counterspy which does get acrried away now and then and produce a false positive.

Cicero
21-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Yes although not recently.

I also use Counterspy which does get acrried away now and then and produce a false positive.

You name it,we have used it.:rolleyes:

Safari
21-01-2008, 06:06 AM
You name it,we have used it.:rolleyes:

Speak for yourself Cicero.
Not all of us have to go through all that drama.

Cicero
21-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Speak for yourself Cicero.
Not all of us have to go through all that drama.
Ah,sorry about that Safari,I was only referring to those of us who use proper computers.