PDA

View Full Version : Graphics problem

nzjab06
18-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi evryone,

When im playing a game such as Lord of the Rings:Return of the King the game starts perfectly and then itll suddenly either stay repeating over a one second part of the game or it will turn all movement into slow lines of colour and you cant see the characters only the background with the moving lines on top. You can exit the game by pressing alt f4 or by pressing the windows key or ctrl-alt-dlt. At first i thought my Nvidia FX5600 graphics card couldnt handle it but i had allready played it for a couple of ours when i first installed it. I then considered the graphcis card was overheating so i got a fan and opened up the side of the case and let the big room fan cool the computer down but it still did it. Any ideas. Thnx

feersumendjinn
18-01-2008, 07:55 PM
If the cards got a fan, make sure it's spinning and free of dust.
If thats ok then it sounds like your video ram (on the video card) is going bad, corrupting its output (I had a card do this); see if you've still got a warranty, some manufacturers have a 3 year term.

nzjab06
18-01-2008, 08:18 PM
the fan that was origianlly on there brock so i got a replacemtn and used a plastic strip to hold it in place but the fan works fine

feersumendjinn
18-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Probably when the original fan broke (stopped? fell off?), the card was damaged through overheating and has taken until now to show up a problem; card is probably 'toast', need a new one.

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 08:46 PM
the fan that was origianlly on there brock so i got a replacemtn and used a plastic strip to hold it in place but the fan works fine You may also find if the original fan was sealed on with thermal paste as well, if this was not reapplied the cooling properties of the "taped on Fan" were not working correctly - resulting in overheating.