PDA

View Full Version : Cannot delete history.

Melorock
18-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a 2001 dell that has windows ME. (yes, I'd love to upgrade, but I have tried XP and its makes my computer much slower)

I cannot delete certain sites from my address bar. I have tried everything I can think of. I go through tools, options, and delete history, yet it clears some recent sites, but theres a few sites (such as MY personal information) that will not go away in my address bar. Its like its embedded in my address bar permanently. I have tried running CCleaner and that has not helped. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clear these so-called permanent sites from my address bar?

this sucks.

but I appreciate any help.
-melorock

the_bogan
18-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Run adaware, or Spybot.

Then, if that doesn't work, have you tried right clicking the bar, and uninstalling it there?

zqwerty
18-01-2008, 05:23 PM
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Read through instructions and setup before using or you may delete things you don't want to.

Melorock
18-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Run adaware, or Spybot.

Then, if that doesn't work, have you tried right clicking the bar, and uninstalling it there?

Wait what? Right clicking my internet address bar and click delete? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

Melorock
18-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh one more thing, what if I clean out my hard drive? That should work, how could I do that?

thanks for the help.

the_bogan
18-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Wait what? Right clicking my internet address bar and click delete? I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

Sorry misread your post. I thought you meant unwanted toolbars.

Have you tried clicking on internet options, and clearing your cache there? I'm assuming you're running internet explorer.

Melorock
18-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah I'm running internet explorer. I've cleared history under the general tab if thats what clearing your cache means, but some sites still linger, like they are passed over.

Safari
18-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah I'm running internet explorer. I've cleared history under the general tab if thats what clearing your cache means, but some sites still linger, like they are passed over.

Try clearing auto-complete history

To clear the AutoComplete Settings, follow the below steps.

Open Internet Explorer
Click the Tools menu and then Internet Options.
Within the Internet Options window, click the content tab.
Click the Autocomplete button.
Within this window you can click Clear forms to clear all form data except for passwords and/or click Clear Passwords to clear the passwords. In addition to clearing these fields, if you do not want Internet Explorer to save this data in the future, you may uncheck any of the available boxes in this window.

zqwerty
18-01-2008, 06:28 PM
MRU blaster will do all that you want, get rid of those undesired entries (lol) and much more, as I said be careful, you won't lose anything vital but you will lose all of your Word etc previous used files in the applications.

Melorock
19-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Well I D/L MRU blaster, but all I get is a schedule, and I set the minutes etc. Is that how it's supposed to work? And if so, I don't believe it did.

I think a solve-all is to dban this thing.

FoxyMX
19-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Well I D/L MRU blaster, but all I get is a schedule, and I set the minutes etc. Is that how it's supposed to work? And if so, I don't believe it did.

I think a solve-all is to dban this thing.

Did you try what Safari said? That should have solved your problem.

A good cleaner is CleanUp452 (http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69) if you are wanting to get rid of temp files, etc.

zqwerty
19-01-2008, 05:36 PM
The download link is the one at the bottom, whatever you got it is not MRU Blaster:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrudownload.html

Grimy
19-01-2008, 07:58 PM
I had the same trouble a few years back when cleaning up my old ME equipped PC.
I Googled it and finally found the answer after a lot of dead ends - which I can't remember (and haven't kept the paperwork as I gave it all to my sister with the PC).
However, it wasn't straight forward and involved deleting entries in the registry.
It did work however.

Melorock
20-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Well I tried MRL, ccleaner, and clean-up. It still won't work.

Grimy, do you remember any key things when you searched how to solve this problem on google? Just anywhere in the right direction.

once again, thanks guys.

zqwerty
20-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Read this and be careful:

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1009

Printer friendly version:

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips-pr.php/1009

Melorock
20-01-2008, 05:49 PM
lol, I tried that and there was nothing there on the url side.

I really appreciate the help though.

Cicero
20-01-2008, 07:25 PM
If you followed Safaris instruction,you will have cleaned all undesirable sites.

nzjab06
25-01-2008, 08:16 PM
You could try running ccleaner and click all of the advaned internet options and it should refresh the pages that youve been to. Also open internet explorer and click tools\internet options and then on the general tab under temporary internet files click delete temporary internet files. This should solve your problem and if not run ccleaner

zqwerty
25-01-2008, 09:15 PM
MRU Blaster and other solutions posted her will do everything the poster required, for some reason instructions are not being carried out.

Cicero
26-01-2008, 06:45 AM
MRU Blaster and other solutions posted her will do everything the poster required, for some reason instructions are not being carried out.

False enquiry maybe?

Grimy
26-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Melorock, I've been out of action for a week or so, but have just sent an email to my sister who I gave a folder to with all my collected ME fixes. I am hoping she will have a look, and that I did put a copy of what you need in there. Soon as I hear from her I will post a reply.
I remember this issue being a real problem to fix. I don't know if the other posters' advice will work, there were not many programs like Ccleaner etc around when I had to sort my ME PC.

bk T
26-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Have you tried a program called 'PurgeIE'? I used it a few years ago and found it to be excellent! You may download it from: http://www.purgeie.com/

lakewoodlady
26-01-2008, 10:18 PM
In Ccleaner when you ran it did you put a tick in the box that says Autocomplete ? (Its in the Windows part, not the Applications). Usually it is unticked by default. Try that.