PDA

View Full Version : USB Drives Non Powered

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Any USB device,Non Powered, meaning Pen drives / Cams, or Ipods, will not show in My Computer, but powered Devices like printers scanners etc that run from the mains work perfectly.

I have run the PC from a Linux Live CD and once again, only powered devices show, Non Powered Device wont. Checked the BIOS all good to go.

Apart from a failing Motherboard (PSU was changed as a test) - any other suggestions as to why these wont detect ?

pctek
18-01-2008, 04:09 PM
They're dead.

The PSU can't handle it.

Actually yesterday my hairdresser asked if they could have XP on their currently ME PC because the guy in the toaster shop told them the reason they can't get their newly purchased pen drive to show on their PC is because it needs XP.

Right..................

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm actually leaning towards the boards giving up the ghost -

The non Powered devices work fine in other PC's, A different good Power supply was attached - no difference, - Only Powered USB devices detect correctly - and the best possible reason for thinking its the Board - its a PC company PC- around 5 years old.

But the owner insists it was working fine a month ago, and still thinks its software - But A live CD doesn't show them either.

Just fishing for other reasons I might have missed ?

plod
18-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Are the non powered devices connected straight to usb or through a hub.
Are ipods and cameras non-powered devices?

coldot
18-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Have you tried front USB ports, rear USB ports, if there are alternates?
Have you tried disconnecting all other USB devices - including printers, whatevers?
Have you tried with a USB hub with external power pack?
Sorry, no more ideas on this one.

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 07:15 PM
All USB devices that are non powered are connected directly into the Back of the PC, no hubs, - tried all ports (4 in total) no front ports

The Camera was also connected into the PC directly. Same with the Ipod

The camera is using its batteries to power up , I instructed they plug in the camera by the mains - but was told it doesn't have a power lead - and the batteries charge from the PC's USB ports - which I don't quite think is correct.

Any Mains powered device works perfectly. Eg: I have a 1 Gb USB drive - wont detect, but will on my own PC or others PC's. = drive is fine. Tried 3 other USB pen drives - all the same.

If I plug in a portable HD, 250 Gb ( 3.5") Drive in an enclosure, plug that into the mains (as you have to so it powers up) then plug that into the same port it works perfectly.

Its almost as if the USB ports don't have the power to make the devices work. This is the same running from a Live CD which by passes the Windows OS.

Have you tried front USB ports, rear USB ports, if there are alternates?
Have you tried disconnecting all other USB devices - including printers, whatevers?
Have you tried with a USB hub with external power pack?
Sorry, no more ideas on this one.

Yes to all :dogeye:

Its 5 years old and I think its about to die some how.

feersumendjinn
18-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I would say the 5 volt feed to the USB ports has died (possibly by overloading (USB coffee warmer?!)), resulting in flash drives and such, not being powered up (therefore not detected); your mains powered devices will work as they dont need the feed from the USB bus; you need a new m'board I'd say.
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 07:55 PM
You could be spot on Feer :thumbs: - one thing the guy did say and it was a kind of passing off the cuff mumble at the time he made BUT its Just come to me from your comment - when the PC sometimes wouldn't shut down (it would hang on closing down windows) - he had to remove the D-Link modem, Thats connected Via USB as well then, it would shut down OK.

While at the Workshop I had to install a temp Ethernet Card to attach to my network, his PC doesn't have one - No shut down problems at all. Back at his house, with the USB modem Connected - problems shutting down.

Maybe he has shorted some thing.

feersumendjinn
18-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Reckon so.
I spose as a workaround he could use a powered USB hub, if he doesnt want to buy a new motherboard (if you can still get one!).

wainuitech
18-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Reckon so.
I spose as a workaround he could use a powered USB hub, if he doesnt want to buy a new motherboard (if you can still get one!). I'll suggest one of These Here (http://www.i-rocks.com/Product_detail.aspx?CLASS_ID=1036&PRODUCT_ID=1074) One of my vendors has them. Lot cheaper than a New Board, but I spose the board will fail at some time.