PDA

View Full Version : message too large to post to public folder

susann
17-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Can anyone please tell me where I can change the limits for the size of the message that can be posted to a public folder? We are running MS SBS 2003.

A user is trying to drag & drop an email into an outlook public folder and gets the message "Can't move the items. A rule in this public folder prevents a message this large from being posted". There's nothing set on the folder itself so I assume there's a default rule that is applied to all our public folders (as we have hundreds) that has a size limit on it. I just can't find where it is set...

Any guidance appreciated!
Susan

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Are you admin or someone in IT?? If this is at work?

If not, I would get them to fix it.

Or if you are, try this (http://www.mcse.ms/message955555.html)

susann
17-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi Speedy

Yes I am the IT person at work - however I am still learning the server side of things. We do have a person who comes in to help with that side but I thought I'd look into it first.

I had already found that site you posted, thanks. But there are no rules for folder size set to any of our folders which makes me think there is a default rule for size set somewhere else.

Ta
Susan

jontee
17-01-2008, 08:20 PM
:2cents: Is this any help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Limit the size of your public folders.
If you do not limit the size of your public folders, the folders can grow extraordinarily large and cause Exchange to stop functioning.

To limit the size of your public folders

In the Server Management console, double-click Advanced Management.
Double-click First Organization (Exchange), double-click Servers, double-click YourComputerName, and then double-click First Storage Group.
Right-click Public Folder Store (YourComputerName), and then click Properties.
Click the Limits tab.
Click the Issue Warning at (KB) check box and type 281600 in the corresponding check box.
Click the Prohibit Post at (KB) check box and type 307200 in the corresponding text box.
Click OK.
The first number causes a warning to be issued when the size of a public folder reaches 275 MB, and the second number prohibits additional posts when the size of the folder reaches 300 MB. You can customize these numbers to meet your specific needs. To calculate the number of kilobytes from a given number of megabytes, multiply the megabytes by 1024. For example:

275 MB = 275 * 1024 KB = 281600 KB

From;
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:4w82gYmgrXwJ:www.sbsusers.net/techinfo/SBS_BP.htm+MS+SBS+2003+how+to+remove+size+limitati on+on+public+folders&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=nz

susann
18-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks jontee - exactly what I was looking for!

I had been looking in the first administrative group for some properties to change but I was going to the "folders" folder rather than looking under the sever name/first storage group/public folder store.

Cheers for your help
Susan