PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP installation woes.

jason_f90
17-01-2008, 03:01 AM
I've been trying to install Windows XP on my EEE PC for the past 2 nights without any success and this has really been *beep* me off. :badpc:

These are the gear I currently have:

1. Original Windows XP SP1 Disk
2. Copied Windows XP SP2 Disk
3. Emprex 16X External Dvd Burner

I've tried both disks to no avail. Pretty much I get to the screen where it says Setup is copying the installation files with the loading bar. Now it just randomly stops at a file; I noticed it's not a certain it can be any file.

A friend of mine said it was possible to install Windows XP via a USB thumb drive. Is this possible? Any other suggestions?

wainuitech
17-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Can you try a different Optical Drive - had similar problems where the Drive for some stupid reason doesn't like the CD.

Also make sure the CD (s) are clean, no finger marks, dust etc.

mzee
17-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I had the same problem with a SATA CD drive. Borrowed an IDE drive which was OK.

jason_f90
17-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Well I've installed Windows XP before with the same drive and CD and it works fine. I'll try to borrow another drive off a mate. Any other suggestions?

wainuitech
17-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Well I've installed Windows XP before with the same drive and CD and it works fine. I'll try to borrow another drive off a mate. Any other suggestions? Not from me anyway - not until you have tried another drive - they do fail and wear out.

I'm doing a fresh install on a Customers PC while writing this - the customers DVD drive reads most CD's fine, wont read the XP Pro CD though, got another CD/RW drive hanging out the side installing perfectly.

Its a process of elimation -

1. Is the CD perfectly OK Y/N ?

2. Is the optical drive working perfectly Y/N ?

3. Are the ribbons in fully working Condition, with no broken wires inside Y/N ?

jason_f90
17-01-2008, 05:36 PM
What about installing XP from a thumb drive or external hard drive? I've got a spare 80GB Western Digital 2.5" external HD and an old Creative 1GB mp3 player/thumb drive if that helps.

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Could try it, you'll soon find out.

Just remember to change the bootdisk to the flash drive.

Hopefully the BIOS supports booting from USB devices.

wainuitech
17-01-2008, 06:20 PM
What about installing XP from a thumb drive or external hard drive? I've got a spare 80GB Western Digital 2.5" external HD and an old Creative 1GB mp3 player/thumb drive if that helps.

Question - if your optical drive wont read the CD when installing, how are you going to transfer the complete contents of the XP CD to the removable drive (which ever you use) ?

jason_f90
17-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Well my optical drive CAN read the Windows XP CD it just seems to stall at random points when copying the Windows Installation files to the hard drive. Sometimes it'll get up to 90-ish% before stalling.

What I plan on doing is copying the Windows XP installation files to the thumb drive using my desktop PC. Run the installation OFF the thumb drive and install it ON the laptops hard drive.

Of course I need to make sure the laptops motherboard supports USB booting (it does, I've previously installed Ubuntu this way) and I need to format the flash drive to make it bootable (using BartPE).

I googled a bit and found these.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/
http://www.vandomburg.net/installing-windows-xp-from-usb/

Also there is an option in the bios called "OS Installation" which can be set at Start or at Finished. Setting it at 'Start' forces the USB ports to run at 1.1 speeds while 'Finished' lets it run at 2.0 speeds. Just thought you might like to know if that's important.

wainuitech
17-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Well my optical drive CAN read the Windows XP CD it just seems to stall at random points when copying the Windows Installation files to the hard drive. Sometimes it'll get up to 90-ish% before stalling. Hmmm That may also be a hard drive problem. If it stalls as well when doing it by USB drive, then its not the CD. - time well tell I guess. :thumbs: Good luck