PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Overheating

Azure018
17-01-2008, 12:44 AM
hey there im new here but have my past issues posted here before(by codex)

Today i finally got sick of my games lagging and downloaded ntune to see how hot my graphics cards were running, and i was shocked to find that they were running at 85 degrees Celsius! now i straight away underclocked the card down to 500mhz using ntune(at factory is 580) and set fans to 100% speed the temp dropped down to around 65(thank god)

What doesnt make sense is that, there is plenty of cooling in my case (Thermaltake armor jr, with extra window fan, there was a hole but no fan so i bought one), also i swapped the two cards around to see if the top cards heat changed to see if it was the card, and it didnt. then i got codex's 8800gts and put it in my case after removing my two cards, his card started to overheat also, so im absolutely stumped as to why this is happening

my specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 6000+ Dual Core
PSU: Coolermaster Real Power Pro M1000 1000W Modular Power Supply
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
RAM: 4x1024mb Corsair DDR2 800mhz (CAS 5.0) (fourth 1 gig chip removed due to bsod)
Video Card: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS xXx 320mb x2 in SLI
DVD: 2x Light Scribe ASUS DVD Burner SATA
Hard Drive: 1x 250Gig Western Digital SATA (OS)
Hard Drive: 1x 5000Gig Western Digital SATA (Games)
Hard Drive: 1x 500Gig Western Digital SATA

also returned the card to factory settings right now, theres just one of my 8800s in the case, at idle its 75 degrees celsius

anyone got any idea whats going on?

ArcticSilver
17-01-2008, 03:01 AM
My guess is that some bios settings for your GPU have been changed.

Set your bios back to the default settings.

If that doesnt fix it, check the ventilation around the card.

Do bear in mind 8 Series cards quite often run hot.

Myth
17-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Have a look at the case fans... are they all creating a good airflow through the case, or are they fighting each other.

With case fans, I usually (and it may be wrong but thats the way I do it) have the front one sucking air into the system, then the rear and side fans sucking air out. Maybe the side fan you installed is also sucking air into the system

Azure018
17-01-2008, 07:30 AM
My guess is that some bios settings for your GPU have been changed.

Set your bios back to the default settings.

If that doesnt fix it, check the ventilation around the card.

Do bear in mind 8 Series cards quite often run hot.
yeah normally between 65-75 degrees says nvidia site somewhere

the bios is on default settings, so default it thinks its in the year 2007 again lol

Have a look at the case fans... are they all creating a good airflow through the case, or are they fighting each other.

With case fans, I usually (and it may be wrong but thats the way I do it) have the front one sucking air into the system, then the rear and side fans sucking air out. Maybe the side fan you installed is also sucking air into the system
120mm fan sucking in air at front, 80mm at the side sucking air into cpu, 120 exaust fan at rear of case to suck air out

so cooling doesnt appear to be an issue, or is it? dun dun dun says batman

Codex
17-01-2008, 08:39 AM
lol we figured something wasnt right when i opened his machine and the cards burnt me

Biggles
17-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I was getting overheating with my setup, which is just a single 7900GT. I had a fan at front pulling air, large side fan blowing air onto CPU area, and the power-supply fan venting air out the back.

I installed a cheap slot fan that is sucking the air out from near the video card, and it has made a tremendous difference.

I think in the hot weather of summer that sometimes standard cooling procedures are just not enough with modern vid card/CPU combos.

Azure018
17-01-2008, 11:33 AM
I was getting overheating with my setup, which is just a single 7900GT. I had a fan at front pulling air, large side fan blowing air onto CPU area, and the power-supply fan venting air out the back.

I installed a cheap slot fan that is sucking the air out from near the video card, and it has made a tremendous difference.

I think in the hot weather of summer that sometimes standard cooling procedures are just not enough with modern vid card/CPU combos.
would you kindly recommend a nice quiet one?

also tonight were gonig to try reverting to old drivers, another forum a guy resolved the issues with reverting back to the 158.20 drivers or something

memphis
17-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I have 2 x 120mm case fans at the front bringing in cool air -(1x 120mm case fan and 120mm Harddrive bay bus that goes into 3 x 5.25" slots at the front of the case and can take 4 harddrives in it) and 1 x 120mm case fan at the rear taking out the hot air plus the psu fan taking out hot air as well.

And I have the fans connected to a fan controller in a 3.5" slot and a multimedia card reader as well in the other 3.5 slot.

I have also removed all the rear slot covers that I dont need to help get rid of the heat from the graphics card area as well.

I also have a fan in the room to bring down the room temperature as well.
:cool:

dugimodo
17-01-2008, 01:25 PM
a temporary fix - take the side off, can't beat it for instant cooling.

If the 8800 is the 2 slot version with it's own air intake like mine, check that the vent on the back isn't clogged up with dust. It happened to me and the graphics card fan suddenly started running flat out and making a hell of a racket.

I sucked the dust out the back with a vacuum cleaner ( while holding the fan still ) and all went quiet again .

Biggles
17-01-2008, 01:57 PM
would you kindly recommend a nice quiet one?

Not really - the one I have is jut a cheapy no-name brand but it seems to do the job.

I've had regular problems with heat in summer on my past 2 PCs, but this summer the 7900GT started acting flaky in games. I had taken it out and reverted to a 6600GT but tried this latest solution when putting it back in and it seems to work. I've had no repeat of the corrupted displays that made games unplayable, so I'm pretty convinced excess heat on the the card was the cause of the problem.

I also gave the whole card a good vacuum/clean to remove dust build up, which will impair fan/heatsinks ability to dissipate heat.

What I really want is a small cheap air-con box that you can place on your desk next to the PC which then blows cool, dry air into the side fan. That would solve almost all these summer blues, I reckon.

Azure018
17-01-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356560

theres that

but wouldnt it suck the heat off the bottom card and blow it into the top card?

Biggles
17-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I reckon something like this would be better:

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/tmg/a2414/a2414.html

Of course, it's essentially doing what the fan on your 8800's should be doing (they vent out the back, right?) - but if the heat build up in the PC is still too much then drawing that hot air out and as a result pulling more (cooler) air in via the front may work.

The problem is these things are all very hit and miss. Since you can't really "see" the airflow in action inside your PC.

feersumendjinn
17-01-2008, 09:02 PM
120mm fan sucking in air at front, 80mm at the side sucking air into cpu, 120 exaust fan at rear of case to suck air out

Try turning this one around (like Myths) :2cents:

password
17-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey i have a NVIDIA GeForce 6100 and i was wondering it says its running at 84 Degrees and i was wondering what was that optimum temp for good performance??

Azure018
18-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Not really - the one I have is jut a cheapy no-name brand but it seems to do the job.

I've had regular problems with heat in summer on my past 2 PCs, but this summer the 7900GT started acting flaky in games. I had taken it out and reverted to a 6600GT but tried this latest solution when putting it back in and it seems to work. I've had no repeat of the corrupted displays that made games unplayable, so I'm pretty convinced excess heat on the the card was the cause of the problem.

I also gave the whole card a good vacuum/clean to remove dust build up, which will impair fan/heatsinks ability to dissipate heat.

What I really want is a small cheap air-con box that you can place on your desk next to the PC which then blows cool, dry air into the side fan. That would solve almost all these summer blues, I reckon.

now thats an idea. codex and i have resolved it down to: 1x 8800 in there is fine, no matter what card it is, so neither of them are faulty, but as soon as i put the 2nd in, thats when heat builds up, so now im running one by itself and another being lonely in its box.