PDA

View Full Version : ACPI Stability?

08-04-2001, 11:45 PM
Evening, all.

Question about the new ACPI standard - how stable is it considered to be? I am running Win2000 on a Soltek SL-75KV-2X motherboard with the latest BIOS, and am getting blue screens when I try to use my HP DAT drive. Backup software is Veritas Backup Exec.

Now, I am reasonably positive that Windows is at fault here. Veritas Support had never heard of this problem, and changing a registry value helped it go away. For a while.

Neither is it hardware, as Win98 and Windows Backup in Win2000 (a poor man's version of Backup Exec) work just perfectly.

And I have more reasons for not trusting ACPI, which are too long-winded to go into here.

So, how stable is this new standard? And if you think it's not ACPI, feel free to suggest something else.

Cheers, Grant.

09-04-2001, 11:46 AM
Backup Exec will possibly be your culprit. It may be attempting to use one of it's accelerated tape device drivers, or may just feel like having a hissy-fit. I think you've ruled out ACPI as 2K backup works fine. I've not head anything negative about W2K's ACPI implimentation, but I've heard of loads of problems with backup exec. Soltek boards operate well with 2K. They usually have a via chipset and use via's 4in1 drivers.

If you would post the first few lines of the STOP message it may reveal more.

10-04-2001, 06:40 PM
This is so wierd.

The other day, Backup Exec caused Windows 2K to crash whenever I did _anything_ with the DAT drive.

Today, I couldn't MAKE it crash. Ran four backups, and they all completed OK. Not a BSOD in sight. I even stressed the machine, playing MP3's and downloading stuff. Maybe you're right, perhaps it was BE having a hissy fit.

From what I can remember, the crashes I had were all STOP 0x0000000A or 0x0000001E, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, in ntoskrnl.exe, suggesting a conflicting IRQ. But there _aren't_ any. Everything is reported as fine. Any help still appreciated.

Excuse me now, I have to find a wall to hit my head against.(j/k)

Grant.