PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of upgrading RAM

Bryden
16-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Everyone

I was contemplating upgrading my desktop with extra RAM - running Windows XP Home and 1GB. The technician I contacted said there is no point as XP wont benefit from upgrading the RAM. Is this correct please?

TIA

Bryden:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Ignore what the tech said. If you want more ram, get some.

No harm in adding more.

Altho, this may depend on HOW much ram the computer supports.

And it depends what you do with your computer.

If its just for basic stuff, 1 GB is enough.

Bryden
16-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Thought it might speed things up.... Guess I don't do anything too labour intensive though.... but I like new bells and whistles! VBG

Bryden

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Well depends what you mean by speed things up. 1 GB is enough to boot into windows.

If you do basic things.

If u do something like CAD or use something like video editing or use Photoshop or something. It might help. BUT a fast CPU also helps, if you do this

Renmoo
16-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Everyone

I was contemplating upgrading my desktop with extra RAM - running Windows XP Home and 1GB. The technician I contacted said there is no point as XP wont benefit from upgrading the RAM. Is this correct please?

TIA

Let's expose his name and ID! :thumbs:

wainuitech
16-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Increasing the Ram will usually speed things up, but if you up it to much, and the CPU is not that powerful, you wont see that much of an improvement, also most motherboards can only handle a certain amount of RAM, some 2 Gb some 8 Gb or above.

Example of RAM increase: if you had only 256Mb Ram and increased it to 1Gb - the speed increase will be very noticeable, but increase that to 2Gb the increase wont be as much.

Mind you DDR and DDR2 RAM is cheap, just check how much your board can take then take it to the Max if you want. From Memory (no pun intended :D ) XP 32 Bit can only take a Max of 4 Gb.

dbs
16-01-2008, 10:03 PM
no use adding ram up to motherboard limit, if your operating system wont take it.
most combinations of XP32 and motherboard wont read above about 3.25GB,
some will read 4GB if the bios will read PAE memory extentions (from mem)
only XP64 will read more.

memphis
16-01-2008, 11:33 PM
That so called "technician" is hopeless and knows sweet !@#$ all about XP.

Does he think 128mb of ram will be enough to operate properly because M$ says so!!!:xmouth:

Adding more ram is the cheapest and easiest upgrade anyone can do.

I have: 2 x 1 gb sticks of ram and
2 x 512mb sticks of ram.

This gives me 3 gigs running in Dual Channel and for games it has made a very big improvement for games like BF2,Oblivion,Crysis and others as well,plus Windows XP is more responsive,snappy,faster in general use as well.:thumbs:

Ram is so cheap you have nothing to lose and everything to gain,IMHO.:thumbs:

If you want to use 4 gigs or more ram then you need a 64 bit Windows like; XP Pro 64 bit or Vista 64 bit.

All Gamers I know have 2 gigs of ram as standard and more if they want to.

If you buy a premade gaming computer it has 2 gigs of ram standard as well.

Go to any gamer website and check out their sigs and see what they have in their computers,it wont be 128mb of ram or 256mb of ram or 512mb of ram in their computers!!!

drcspy
17-01-2008, 01:21 AM
it totally depends on what you do with the pc........I "only" have 1.5gb ram but even this is more than I need.........I DONT run games at all and I only very occasionally play around with video editing.........as it is usually I've got about 700mb remaining at least........unused......your pc wont necessarily be faster if you add more ram if you are not using all you have already !

as for :
1 GB is enough to boot into windows.

If you do basic things.

actually i've seen xp systems running on 64mb ram tho I DONT reccomend it cause they're VERY slow to do anything at all...............yet 512mb or a little more is fine if all you do mostly is surf the net and perhaps use word/emails etc.......even ok for burning cds/dvds.......

ArcticSilver
17-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi Everyone

TIA

Unless your gaming or doing any video editing don't bother with more RAM.

1gb will do fine. You will not see a massive performance hit.

If you are running noticeably slow its probably time for an upgrade.

Morpheus1
17-01-2008, 05:32 AM
That so called "technician" is hopeless and knows sweet !@#$ all about XP.

Does he think 128mb of ram will be enough to operate properly because M$ says so!!!:xmouth:

:groan:

The tech knows that Bryden already has 1 G of RAM so any increase will have little effect.

pctek
17-01-2008, 09:12 AM
i

actually i've seen xp systems running on 64mb ram tho I DONT reccomend it cause they're VERY slow to do anything at all.

:eek:

I'd say 512mb is fine for most XP PCs just doing the usual internet and word processing.

I have 2GB in both of mine, but one is used for gaming.
The reason for the 2GB in the other is just that it was noticable going from the 2GB PC to the other, so I stuck more in it.

Wouldn't say it exactly needed it.....but it is cheap enough.

There is a point were it does become pointless.

Win98 for instance - I had one with 128MB in it, that was fine, customer wanted a bit more so I did, but it made no noticable difference really.

FoxyMX
17-01-2008, 04:00 PM

The tech is correct for normal everyday use of the computer, eg browsing internet, office apps, etc. For gaming more RAM would be helpful.

My PC had 1GB which was perfectly adequate (I'm not a gamer) until I started dealing with very large graphics files (100MB+). After I added another 1GB it was noticeably snappier in opening and editing those large files but other than that there is no difference. I would also expect an improvement with editing video.

Bottom line: if you aren't a gamer or deal with graphics and video files then adding more RAM won't make any difference to the speed of your computer.