PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD authoring software

Greven
16-01-2008, 12:33 PM
My friend has a sony DVD handycam & wants a program to edit the DVDs it creates. I usually just use Nerovision on the odd occasion I have to do something like that, but are there any reasonably priced products (for Windows) that are better? He is willing to spend around $100.

Bantu
16-01-2008, 01:16 PM
You get what you pay for, I personally use Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects, but I do a lot of DV editing, including multi camera editing.

Maybe look at Pinnacle Studio is is a bit simpler to use, not sure of price though.

Depends on whether he is looking for frame by frame, and extensive audio control or just basic throw it together and burn it on a disc

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2008, 01:22 PM
If u want something free, you might as well use Moviemaker.

Depends what you want to add to it.

But the better programs will cost you

Greven
16-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Movie maker can't import from or export to DVD format can it? He is willing to pay around $100 & wants something that is not too complicated.

What do the good programs cost?

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Probably 200 + some closer to 1000.

eds
16-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I have been using Pinnacle Studio for about 5-6 yrs now. Probably not the best but you works very well. I have used Ulead Video Studio(free copy supplied by PC World mag) a few years ago to compare and found it to be just as good but much easier to work with. Have not kept uptodate with Ulead, so do not know what its like now.

kahawai chaser
16-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I use to use Sonic's My DVD (http://www.sonic.com/) which came bundled with my PC. Though you might be able to download it/buy the CD off their site (There are different packages, e.g. Studio Premier) for US $70...

Misty
16-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Chilling Silence recommended DVD Shrink to me not too long ago. It is free and does a great job
Misty :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Tried Nero 8 earlier.

Some of the templates you can download, are pretty snazzy.

Tried out a few youtube vids I downloaded lol.

The DVD was pretty good.

At least it saved me converting the flash files.

Metla
16-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Adobe Premier Elements,
Its aimed squarely at the home user, well priced, and loaded with features.

Misty
17-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Adobe Premier Elements,
Thanks Metla
I note an interesting comment on Amazon re APE (link shown under)

What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing Items Like This?

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 [Old Version]
72% buy the item featured on this page: from $24.50
Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 [Old Version] 3.9 out of 5 stars (51)

Adobe Premiere Elements 4
28% buy Adobe Premiere Elements 4 2.6 out of 5 stars (27) $84.49

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Premiere-Elements-2-0-Version/dp/B000AP89UI

I don't know about it enough to comment but it may be worth checking to see which meets your needs better - the old 2.0 version or the new 4.0 version.
These prices will be in USD dollars. :illogical
Misty :)

PS - still trying to get info on how long the free trial period for APE v4 is.

Cicero
17-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Adobe Premier Elements,

$167 us for element 6.

Bantu
17-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Movie maker can't import from or export to DVD format can it? He is willing to pay around $100 & wants something that is not too complicated.

What do the good programs cost?

Everyone has a different opinion of "Good"
Moviemaker to some is good, to me it is crap, but it can input Digital Video and edit it and export it to DV Quality IF you change some of it's settings. By default it uses WMV format which is rubbish. You can change it to full Pal DV when you export it.

Apple has one of the best out of the box DV editing suites and is extremely user friendly and free, pity it did not come for Windows.

Ulead has a few products, Pinnacle, AVID, Sony.

Might be some info on our club website.
www.videomakers.org.nz

Bantu
17-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Chilling Silence recommended DVD Shrink to me not too long ago. It is free and does a great job
Misty :thumbs:

DVD Shrink is for ripping a DVD. It is not a good DV editing app.

Roscoe
17-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I have been using Pinnacle Studio 8 for many years. It is easy to use, is reasonably priced and has most of the effects that you would need.

I do not agree with adding too many effects to your creation, so a simple and easy programme is preferable for me.

One of the most important requirements for a good creation is the soundtrack. Continuity in a video production is paramount and continuity of the soundtrack is second only to continuity of the picture. While Movie Maker is ok, you can only add one soundtrack which limits what you can achieve. The (complicated but achievable) answer to that problem is to have a sound editing programme where you can create and mix more than two soundtracks before adding it to your creation.

If you or your friend would like any help or tips I am only to happy to help.

I recommend Studio 8 for video or DVD editing and authoring.

Bantu
17-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I had Pinnacle Studio CD bundled with my ATi Graphics card a few years back, it worked great for me until I was ready for more challenging editing. It is still in a box here somewhere.

Studio is easy enough to use and has enough editing features and sound features for the beginner to intermediate user.