PDA

View Full Version : Keeping PC cool on hot day?

stingray
16-01-2008, 12:00 PM
My PC keep blacking out from time to time on a hot day. I assume the PC is overheating. The PC is stored under the desk and it get really warm there. I overcome the problem by moving the PC out in the open ie on the floor away from the desk.
I am led to believe that the PC should be able to work up to room temperature of about 35 deg or more?

How do I keep the PC cool?
How do I clean the dust off the fan?

My PC is Win XP with 2.6GHZ celeron processor.

Thanks

wratterus
16-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Look in the BIOS, under PC health and see what temp the CPU etc is getting up to there. Pull the side of the case off and give it a blow out with a vacuum cleaner (blow, not suck), or a DRY air compressor. Install a new case fan maybe, or keep it on top of the desk for a while.

pctek
16-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Any case fans in your system? Good idea to have some, and those enclosed spaces in desks aren't a good idea unless theres plenty of room either side.

memphis
16-01-2008, 02:49 PM
1. To keep it cool have a fan at the front of the case to bring cool air in and a fan at the back to take out the hot air.

You can also have a fan on the side of the case as well to bring cool air into the case to blow on the cpu and or graphics card as well if you want.You can even have a fan on the top to take out hot air as well.

Use 120mm fans they are on most decent cases now anyway.

Check out the Coolmaster:

CM 690
Black nVidia SLi Ready case you can get it for $150.00

Features:
1. Accommodates up to seven 120 mm fans for high-efficiency ventilation
2. Removable HDD racks provide for easy assembly
3. Cable management design for better cable routing and neatness
4. Tool-free user-friendliness for quick maintenance and upgrade
5. Roomy interior supports nVIDIA G80 SLI configurationSpecifications:

Available Color
- Black

Dimension (W/H/D)
- (W)213 X (H)482 x (D)524.5 mm

Weight
- 9.8 kg

Material
- Chassis: SECC
- Bezel: Metal mesh+ABS

Motherboards
- ATX, Micro-ATX

5.25" Drive Bay
- 5 Exposed (without the use of exposed 3.5 inch Drive Bay)
- 4 Exposed (with the use of 3.5 inch Drive Bay)

3.5" Drive Bay
- 1 Exposed (converted from one 5.25 inch Drive Bay)

I/O Panel
- USB 2.0x2
- IEEE 1394 x1
- MIC x1
- eSATA x 1
- SPK x1 (support HD Audio)

Cooling System
- Front: 120 mm Blue LED fan x 1, 1200 rpm, 21 dBA
- Rear: 120 mm standard fan, 1200 rpm, 21 dBA
- Top : 120 or 140 mm fan x 2 (optional)
- Bottom : 120 mm fan x 1 (optional)
- Left: 120mm fan x 2 (one is optional)-up to 140mm fansI think I might buy one myself!!!:D:cool:

Have the case on a table or desk is best so you dont get fluff from the carpet get sucked into the case from the fans.

Make sure there is enough room at the back of the case so it is not right up against a wall etc so the hot air can escape from the case and not hang around so to speak,I do a 1 foot spaceing myself from a wall.

Keep the area around were the case is tidy and clear of rubbish/stuff so nothing is blocking air coming into the case or leaving the case.

The room temperature is also important so open windows/doors to lower the temperture,get a decent size room fan from the warehouse for cheap is what I have done as well.

2. To clean,I use compressed air cans which I buy from D.S.E..

You can also get filters for your case fans,or make your own with some stockings streached over the front of the fan and then a rubber holding it around the outside and the rest ctut off,but you have to regular check to make sure the rubber band stays on and does not break/wear out/get old etc.,so buying filters is easier then the stocking.

Hope this helps you out.:thumbs:

nzjab06
16-01-2008, 05:41 PM
A good idea would be to have a 120mm case fan on the back sucking air out of the case and a 80mm casde fan at the front to blow cold air in. This should make a "chanel" of air which should move over you're crucial pc parts (e.g cpu and graphics card). One thing to make sure though is to have a greater strengh pulling air out than blowing it in. If you don the computer can get very dusty. For cleaning the case you can buy a small canister of compressed air to blow the dust away. Another idea if its your cpu overheating is to put in a side duct. You put this in using $10 of plumbing parts and its easy to inhstall as long as you dont mind cutting a whole in your cae (it will bve covered by the plumbing parts though). this allows the cpu to pull in cooler air from outside the case.

SurferJoe46
16-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Just don't blow on the fans themselves...they will go overspeed even when they aren't running....and then you get to replace them.

Been there...done it.

stingray
16-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips. In the meantime I have left the PC away from the desk in a place where there is lot of ventilation. I will see how it goes till the weather get cool, the summer has been brilliant so far:thumbs: !

Neil McC
16-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Just don't blow on the fans themselves...they will go overspeed even when they aren't running....and then you get to replace them.

Been there...done it.
Just jam a pencil or screwdriver between the blades so it can't spin.Dust does build up on the blades.:thumbs:

dbs
16-01-2008, 10:13 PM
used to have a pc that over heated all the time, even with extra fans etc,
was noisy as hell.
what cured it was removing the stock wax interface between the CPU and cooler, removed it with brakecleen then alcohol. and added a decent paste, now very quiet (and cool)

memphis
16-01-2008, 10:40 PM
used to have a pc that over heated all the time, even with extra fans etc,
was noisy as hell.
what cured it was removing the stock wax interface between the CPU and cooler, removed it with brakecleen then alcohol. and added a decent paste, now very quiet (and cool)

To make the fans quieter use a fan controller.

To clean the cpu and heatsink fan I use ArcticClean Theamal Material Remover and ArcticClean Thermal Surface Purifer.

I then use Arctic Silver 5 High Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound afterwards for the cpu and heatsink fan.

feersumendjinn
16-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. In the meantime I have left the PC away from the desk in a place where there is lot of ventilation. I will see how it goes till the weather get cool, the summer has been brilliant so far:thumbs: !
You should fix the problem NOW, before you blow the arse out of your CPU (then you'll be sorry! :eek::blush:).

stingray
17-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Phew.

I got a little blower thing and blow into the CPU thing. I couldn't believe how much dust and fluff was coming out!

Hopefully the PC will run cool from now on.

Thanks