PDA

View Full Version : Repartitioning in windows Vista

prayami
16-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi,

In my new windows vista PC, the hard drive is around 320GB.
But there is only one C drive.
I got two questions:
(1) The size on the folders has around 7GB less than if I check the
used space on the C drive. Which I am less concerned at this time but
any hint will be useful.
(2) I want to make three drives from the existing C drive. I read in the
PC World that we can shrink the existing drive. And create new drive
from the unused space.
As my data is important on the PC, just want to have some expert's
comments which I require to consider to make three partition from one.
Because this is first time I am going to do the repartitioning.
e.g.
Is it safe?
Is it require to set particular size?
Any precautions required to take?
Or anything else?

Thanks,

darroll
16-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Back up your stuff first.
Things can and possibly go wrong with any changes.
Why don't you just install another hard Drive?
d

Thebananamonkey
16-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Why install another HDD when you can make partitions??? You can use partition magic to do a fair amount. What are you going to use the new partitions for? Backups? Linux? I used to have a whole bunch of partitions on my laptop, but don't really see the point anymore. Unless you're going to use a different file system on them. I found it just made my life more difficult in the end.

prayami
16-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for reply,

I want to make three partition for ease of use. Not for new operating
system One for Operating System, second for business data and third for
personal data.

Thanks,

gary67
16-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I use a live linux cd as they contain g parted that makes it fairly easy but definitely back up all you data first.

Thebananamonkey
16-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Just make sure you leave plenty of space in the OS for it to grow a bit. Partitions sound good, and I guess if you leave plenty of space in all of them then you shouldn't have any problems. When I did it I just got frustrated, because I quickly ran out of space in my Music partition, but others were quite empty. Now the OS partition's almost full and I'm having to think about a fresh install.

Often it's easier just to create new folders, and to make sure you file them in a logical way. You're not protected from partition failures, but it's simple. It also means you don't have to worry about where you're installing what. I think I'd only create new partitions to save important data, or to install a new OS or for sharing info between say linux and windows.

But that's just my view, with 320GB you have heaps to play with, so just make sure that whatever you do you've backed everything important up, and that you know exactly what you want to do before you do it.

bk T
16-01-2008, 05:53 PM
If I am not wrong, Vista has a built-in utility which can 'shrink' an existing partition thereby allowing you to create new partitions. I'm not using Vista but am sure someone in this forum can share his/her experiences re this issue.