PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling windows

djmrman
15-01-2008, 05:17 PM
HI

Just wandering if anyone was tried this. I am a computer tech having to reinstall windows heaps now how would I go about making a image for faster installs as there is a driver issue with this or is there a easier way.

pctek
15-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Why do you have to reinstall WIndows heaps? I don't and I'm a tech too.

jwil1
15-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Unless all the machines are identical you'll need to install each one individually. Hard disk imaging only works on identical machines (to the best of my knowledge).

FYI If you take out a HD that has NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista on it and put it in another PC with a different spec, the PC will continuously reboot. The only solution (that I know of) is to wipe the HD and reinstall Windows.

note: You can image HDs on Windows 95, 98, 98SE and Me and they will detect the 'new' hardware on first boot (and do a million reboots!) and work reasonably well - just have those driver disks handy,

wainuitech
15-01-2008, 09:22 PM
if you change the Hardware in a PC, and it is not the same, you can do a non destructive reinstall. This will wipe the old drivers, keep the data then you load the new drivers for the hardware.

You then usually have to call MS and explain why you are wanting to reactivate a product key thats already been activated. Usually painless.

Regarding making a image for different hardware /PC's - errrr Lets say it can be done.

Heres a hint. go to Acronis (http://www.acronis.com/smb/) and have a read

drcspy
16-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Why do you have to reinstall WIndows heaps? I don't and I'm a tech too.

yeh....if its for repair purposes I wonder at the quality of this 'tech' ....i've run across tech 'shops' etc who love to do a clean install to remove viruses or fix other relatively minor issues cause it's simple and easy.........seen people get really annoyed cause they had say a dead mobo and the 'tech' has installed a new one then wiped their system and clean installed instead of running a repair install the client has lost months of uni work etc.............seen this several times....not nice......