PDA

View Full Version : mouse problems

justinitpractice
15-01-2008, 01:44 PM
someone i know has a mouse with a ps2 connector when she moves the mouse along the screen it jumps.. could this be a faulty mouse?

Peter H
15-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Could be full of fluff - or is it an optical mouse?:confused:

dugimodo
15-01-2008, 02:13 PM
yeah it could, and I assume you don't mean the mouse is actually on the screen but rather the pointer is :D

Also assuming it's an optical mose, the surface you use it on can be the culprit, a mousepad is still useful even with optical mice. Another common thing is small pieces of hair getting trapped in front of the lens and causing erratic movement.

If it's old enough to still use a mouse ball, take the ball out and clean the rollers.

KerryDP
17-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I've recently experienced the same thing on a PC I was fixing for a friend. The problem I found were loads of extra mouse drivers in the memory... they were obviously for a mouse or keyboard with multifunction buttons. I can only suppose that they would sit in the memory, waiting for the buttons to be fired.

However, the mouse/keyboard being used were not the same ones as what the drivers were designed for. So, I removed the drivers, and the mouse worked fine.

HOWEVER, another thing that complicates this story is that while the above solution worked for the PC's original mouse, I must note that while I was fixing it (at a different location) the mouse I was using didn't have any problems, even with the drivers installed. I was using a PS/2 mouse, wheras the original mouse was a USB one.

So, seeing as the problem is looking decideably more random, the only fixes I can suggest are:

1. Try a different mouse
2. Try a different mouse, with a different connector (eg USB if you are using PS2)
3. Uninstall old mouse drivers
4. Try a different USB port (if it is a USB mouse)
5. Upgrade your USB drivers
6. Check the PS2 settings in the BIOS

feersumendjinn
17-01-2008, 08:58 PM
If you've got one of those mousepads with a 3D picture on it, and an optical mouse, it will make the mouse pointer jump randomly all over the screen, turn your mousepad over or do without it.
If you have a ball mouse, will be dust on the rollers that contact the ball, clean 'em.