PDA

View Full Version : Vista - XP dual boot switch

Scouse
15-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Folks. Machine with XP Pro and Vista running in separate partitions, each with its own set of programmes. Default boot is set to XP but with a reselect time of ten seconds to choose Vista. Runs well.
As set up, it is necessary to restart the system to change from one operating system to the other. Is there a fix of any sort that would enable the switch without having to restart? Just day-dreaming. Thanks. :)

wratterus
15-01-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't believe so, someone else may know different though, maybe look at VMWare if you need to do that?

ughnz
15-01-2008, 12:56 PM
You could always do what I do and run XP or Vista in Virtual PC. I have XP and win2k running inside virtual pc sessions in Vista.

Scouse
15-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Wratterus - thanks
ughnz - thanks. Previuous quick reading suggested that Virtual PC for Vista will only run on business versions of Vista... I have Home Premium. I note that it runs on XP Pro, which I have, but not sure whether it will look forward from XP to Vista or only backwards to previous systems, such as how you are running it. Heads up appreciated.

ughnz
15-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Wratterus - thanks
ughnz - thanks. Previuous quick reading suggested that Virtual PC for Vista will only run on business versions of Vista... I have Home Premium. I note that it runs on XP Pro, which I have, but not sure whether it will look forward from XP to Vista or only backwards to previous systems, such as how you are running it. Heads up appreciated.

I am running it on Home Premium X64 with no problems.. just read the warning and tick the do not display again option :)