PDA

View Full Version : Xtra and port blocking

aidanmaz
15-01-2008, 11:35 AM
is there any way to get around xtra's blocking of port http 80 and smtp 25? i feel any hosting deals seem a little too limited for what i want, i own my own domain name, only thing is xtra is dhcp addresses....grrrrr! i supposed dyndns could work, but that would mean i would have to pay to use my own name (how that works i dont know...i've already paid it) any ideas? so i can host my own site and email at home...preferrably for free:D ?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Change ISP

aidanmaz
15-01-2008, 11:40 AM
haha...to which one?

wratterus
15-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Xnet, Orcon, Telstra, World Exchange...

utopian201
15-01-2008, 11:48 AM
there are some free utilities that do what you want I think, no-ip is a free one I think. If you are wanting something like a static IP address, then yes, you must switch ISP. I personally feel a dynamic IP is good, as it is slightly more secure and slightly more anonymous.

Erayd
16-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Xtra offers an opt-out form to their port blocking. You will probably need to argue with them on the phone to get them to action it, but you can certainly get them unblocked. I strongly recommend you don't host your own mailserver though unless you know exactly what you are doing. Also note that if you have a 128k upload, the website will be painful to use.

aidanmaz
16-01-2008, 11:21 PM
hmmmmm i take it studying for MCSA/MCSE wouldnt be a good excuse.....neither would "i hate the restrictions on online ones, and i have no money" haha...hmmmm no viable reason so il have to throw the idea...damn

utopian201
17-01-2008, 10:01 AM
i think even in xtra's terms and conditions, they used to say you would not be allowed to host servers. I'm not sure if that is still in place though...

aidanmaz
17-01-2008, 10:29 AM
In the telecom T&c for broadband:

Xtra Broadband is not designed to support:

* Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
* Two-way voice applications
* Two-way video applications
* Web servers

For these activities that Broadband does not suit we encourage you to contact 0800 XTRA BUSINESS to find out alternatives are available.

My interpretation to that is: You can have those running but we dont recommend nor will we support you. It will cost me way too much to switch to another provider.

berryb
17-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't see how Xtra are blocking port 80 when all http traffic is on this port. I also have a webserver running on Xtra and port 80 isn't blocked.

Also have a mail server and have opt out of port 25 filtering but wasn't having any issues before opting out and having filtering on. All incoming mail direct to mail server and all out going via xtra smtp server.

aidanmaz
17-01-2008, 03:10 PM
OH! hmmmmm interesting

marke
17-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Yep - you can opt out of port 25 filtering here:
https://selfservice.xtra.co.nz/live/selfservice/serviceprofile/OpenPort25

The filtering causes problems if you are using an SMTP server that's not Xtra's when you are accessing it from on the Xtra network.

Turn it off - bet that fixes your problem!

Bit big brother of Xtra IMHO!

aidanmaz
17-01-2008, 04:30 PM
hehe maybe i should avoid al this and go with online hosted plans, cos i really dont know what im doing :D

using a dynamic address and a domain name dont mix. that and port forwarding is kinda over my head abit.

cheers

Erayd
17-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Definitely go with a third-party host then, especially for your mail. The last thing you want to be doing is setting up an MX with no knowledge of how to do it - if you get it wrong you could end up being a spam relay, and/or having much of the mail you send classed as spam.

aidanmaz
17-01-2008, 07:43 PM
google apps is good, but i cancelled my account as i wasnt a small business and didnt want to get into trouble, yet i dont see anywhere on the help forums sayin i cant......so can i use it? I wanted to email google but couldnt find an email address to contact tech support or anything.