PDA

View Full Version : How to have remote access to an Excel spreadsheet?

stuffed
15-01-2008, 10:49 AM
We operate a seniors computing group and three of us (on separate sites) keep track of student placements etc via an Excel spreadsheet.
How can we “store” this worksheet at a central site so that we all have the current one?! Don’t mean track changes either.
Yeah know we could put it somewhere like Yahoo Briefcase – is there an easier and quicker way – like giving the other 2 access somehow to a folder on my computer?
Many thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Why dont you just send it to each other.

You could use something like Crossloop, but both of you would have to be there,

You to accept it and the other people to connect to you.

stuffed
15-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks - we have been sending it - but what is crossloop?

linw
15-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Have you considered using an online spreadsheet?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks - we have been sending it - but what is crossloop?

This (https://www.crossloop.com/landing.htm)

Similar to remote desktop, but easier to use.

But one person has to give the other a code, so they can login.

ughnz
15-01-2008, 02:07 PM
You could always use ftp to share the file. Most ISPs will give you ftp access for web pages that you could use.

If you look in the Open / Save dialogues in excel there is a FTP Locations option which you can use to achieve what you wont.

martnz
15-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi guys,

Suspect you got it right first time - Yahoo Briefcase (or similar) is the easier and quicker way!

You've all got the right tools, just needs a shared username and password. Think of Briefcase as your file-server - anything else will be more hassle for less functionality.

Regards, Martnz

beama
15-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I use Google documents for a similar situation

KerryDP
16-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd like to do a similar thing... but how can you stop people over-writing what you've written in a certain cell?