PDA

View Full Version : SATA Drive disappeared after reinstalling Windows

springa886
14-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I have 2 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD. I recently formatted my 2 IDE drives and reinstalled windows onto one of them.
I should say now that before I reinstalled, all my drives were recognised and I was using them all.
After I reinstalled Windows, my SATA drive wasn't showing up in My Computer but it was when my PC started up (I can press 'Tab' during startup and I'm taken to a screen that shows my SATA drive, but tells me the number is disks is not adequate to create RAID, or something to that effect). I had BIG issues trying to install my SATA drive, and the guys from this forum helped me sort that out, so im hoping someone wil know something about this.
I do have the RAID driver floppy disk, but my PC doesn't have a floppy disk drive!!!
Any ideas guys?

johnd
14-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Windows driver? - what version of Windows are we talking?

springa886
14-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry - Windows XP Home Ed.
MOBO - MS-7412 (K8MM-V)

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Well you cant install the RAID drivers.

Since you've only got 1 SATA and 2 IDE hdd's.

You need 2 identical SATA hdd's

Disable RAID in the BIOS

Has there been anything on the SATA before?? If it hasnt been formatted before you have to go to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management.

Select it then format it.

Atho there are some mobos that require drivers for SATA hdd's. Only thing you can do is slipstream the SATA drivers on a copy of your XP cd.

Since, you dont have a floppy

springa886
14-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Ya couldn't tell me where in the BIOS to disable RAID could ya??
And also, DO I HAVE TO FORMAT IT!!?!?!? yeah I did/do have stuff on it, and I really want to keep it, is there any way of hooking it back up without formatting it?

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2008, 10:45 PM
WHAT was this SATA connected to before??

Was it the main hdd before, on this system youre using?

This looks like the manual (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=173)

The bottom link

I would make sure the molex adapter (if this is what youre using on the SATA) is in properly.

Or is the power going to it coming from a plug on the PSU?

springa886
14-01-2008, 10:59 PM
It was connected to one of the two SATA connectors on my MOBO, and still is, I havn't touched the drive or the cords since it was working yesterday.
It wasn't the Main hdd (the drive with windows on it), it was one of my storage drives, with photos and video clips etc on it. I really hope i can get them back.
I do have an external SATA drive and am wondering if I swap the drive out of my tower into that will I be able to copy the data off it and then put it back and format it?? What do you think??
BTW, the drive in my tower is a 'big' drive (5in???) and my external is a 'small' drive out of a laptop put into an enclosure. Im sure the connections would fit but is this a good idea?

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2008, 11:02 PM
BTW, the drive in my tower is a 'big' drive (5in???) and my external is a 'small' drive out of a laptop put into an enclosure. Im sure the connections would fit but is this a good idea?

The 5 inch is what? IDE?? Its not one of these bigfoot hdds is it??

I used to have one they could hold bugger all lol

The connection might fit. I doubt it'll fit in the enclosure tho.

springa886
14-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's a 5 inch or not, but thats the SATA drive in my tower that aint showing up. I'll give it a go and see what happens :)

CYaBro
14-01-2008, 11:44 PM
That board came out before they integrated the SATA into the mobo chipset.
You will need to get the VIA SATA RAID drivers from MSI's website (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=driverfile&dno=2460&i=0).
It doesn't matter that you aren't running a RAID setup, it just uses the same drivers.
Have a look in Device Manager and you will most likely have something in there with a yellow exclamation mark on it.
Once you get the drivers (The floppy disc ones will do) extract them to a folder on your hard drive and then update the driver of the problem item in device manager and point it to that folder you just made.

springa886
15-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey CYaBro, you were right, all I needed to do was install those drivers!! (Shoulda seen that one!!!), my bad!!
Anyway thanks everyone for your help.

P.S. Now I have the same problem that caused me to reinstall my windows in the first place!!!! But thats a story for another thread, i'll try and sort it myself but if I can't, i'll be chatting to you guys soon :)