PDA

View Full Version : A little help with installing games on my F:

Cag
14-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Heya everyone ..

i could sure use some help with this ...

I recently had my 120 GB HDD reformatted and partitioned ..

i have a C: and F: partitions.

my C: is 14.6 GB ( this is mainly for my OS)

and my F: is 134 GB ( for everything else , games, music, videos etc)

now with that out of the way .ive had a problem installing games ..it says error occurred while created folders in program files. game such as CS: Source and COD4 aint installing ..for Pro Street is doenst allow me to have the quick launch folders on the C and the game installed on the F. and i cannot change it to make folders on the F. It has to be on the C. ( if anyone understood that ..two thumbs up) ...was wondering if anyone could help me out on this !!

Just to let u know this has been happening recently not direct after partitioning my drive ..i have oblivion installed as well and thats with no problems !

here are two screenshots of whats happening , ones counter strike source and the other COD4

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/390/84484853ho7.png

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1825/86443503mv3.png

Bantu
14-01-2008, 06:23 AM
I would have changed F to D and changed your CD/DVD drive to F.

14.5Gb does not sound like much for windows, I would have gone with about 40Gb for the OS at least personally.

Have you formatted the drive since you created the partition on F?

SolMiester
14-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I install game on a different partition and have done so for years with no issues....
Your problem does not come from having the games installed on a different partition as any system files are automatically written to the system directory. Rferences to the game partition is all in the registry.

I would suspect the drive is faulty, or a rights issue perhaps.

pctek
14-01-2008, 09:00 AM
14.5Gb does not sound like much for windows, I would have gone with about 40Gb for the OS at least personally.

My XP is 1.5Gb, I got Vista down to 3.5GB.
40 is way too much.

Cag
14-01-2008, 01:23 PM
SolMiester....

Would there be any suggestions tat you may have on how to repair it ? ..because while i was having this problem ..i installed HALF LIFE 1 to text ..and that installed smoothly ...which still daunts me to this day ...

thank you soo much!!

SolMiester
14-01-2008, 02:25 PM
SolMiester....

Would there be any suggestions tat you may have on how to repair it ? ..because while i was having this problem ..i installed HALF LIFE 1 to text ..and that installed smoothly ...which still daunts me to this day ...

thank you soo much!!

Not sure I understand you there. I would try installing over the top of it. You will not lose any saved games and it should restore the registry key to allow you to run the game.

Cag
14-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Not sure I understand you there. I would try installing over the top of it. You will not lose any saved games and it should restore the registry key to allow you to run the game.

i'm sorry my typos are gettin worse ...i tired different games after this problem occured ..and HALF LIFE was one of them ...so i installed it to "test" it ..and it installed smoothly ..its just the other games dont ..i cannot figure out why

thanks alot

rob_on_guitar
19-01-2008, 10:35 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318840