PDA

View Full Version : Handling RAM

sal
13-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I bought an extra GB of RAM online for my notebook a few weeks ago and got this tech to put it in for me a few days later (I've never done it before or seen it done). I'd gone in earlier to see what it would cost and the first time they misunderstood me and said it would cost $315 for a 512MB RAM upgrade (yeah, right) but I reiterated that I already had RAM coming in the mail, I just needed someone to put it in for me. "OK, then it's only $15". That was fine with me.

Anyways, when I came back with the RAM and my notebook, he got down to it in front of me (I should have realised any modern notebook would make simple upgrades easy) but when he was handling the RAM, he had his fingers all over it, and not just a little bit but all ten fingers, manoeuvring it, trying to get it seated right I assume.

He booted it up and it started OK but it still only showed the 1 GB it already had. For some reason he thought it was done but I didn't say anything cos I'm a drop-balls like that. When I got home I took the single screw-cover off and it looked crooked so I readjusted it carefully, but when I booted it, it wouldn't start so I took the extra RAM out and all was OK again.

Would he have ruined the RAM by handling it the way he did, and how it didn't boot when I (think I) seated correctly mean the RAM is stuffed? I hope he wasn't looking to get an extra sale out of me.

Sorry for the big story :/

wainuitech
13-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Simple answer - you asked him to put in some RAM you had supplied - While its not good to handle RAM the way you describe, its more than likely not the reason it wont work.

Why wont it work ?? --- Simple, not all Laptop RAM works with All Laptops.

The RAM is more than likely incompatible.

The price quoted to you may have been for compatible RAM that does work (still a bit pricey though).

Not being seated is "shabby work" The reason the PC didn't boot when you tried it, could be as above - incompatible with your Laptop.

johnd
13-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I am continually amazed at how many so called computer techs act like cowboys when it comes to anti-static procedures! Of course there is no way to know for sure that it was damaged by him but it certainly is possible. It takes about 30,000v of static electricity before you feel the discharge and the chips operate on a few volts.

pctek
13-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Fingers all over it is NOT what he should have done.
I picked some up from a supplier once and the girl did the same thing before she stuck it in the anti-static bag.
I insisted on some new stuff and she said they had anti-static carpet too. I still insisted.

However, static isn't likely to kill it outright, Its more likey to dies slowly.

The RAM could be faulty, incompatible, or just not in right.

Try swapping it over to the other slot. Shouldn't matter, but it sometimes does.................

sal
13-01-2008, 08:52 PM
The price quoted to you may have been for compatible RAM that does work (still a bit pricey though).

Not being seated is "shabby work" The reason the PC didn't boot when you tried it, is as above - incompatible with your Laptop.
Admittedly, it was bought off Trademe for $90, but it was quoted as compatible with my model and came in a security-sealed manufacturers box (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ram-box.jpg) (HP, my model being a nx6325) - it all seemed above board. My notebook takes DDR2 RAM which, as I understood it, can be mixed but would operate overall at the slower RAMs speed. Here's the specs of both RAM -

Current (according to CPU-Z):
1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (333MHz)

New RAM:
1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 (533MHz)

Do those values look right? They look weird.

johnd
13-01-2008, 09:00 PM
No - isn't PC2-5300 = 667MHz?

qazwsxokmijn
13-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Your current RAM runs at DDR2 667MHz, while the new one you bought runs at 533MHz. Your 667MHz RAM should slow itself down to 533MHz, but your laptop may not like the combination. You should have bought 667MHz RAM.

wainuitech
13-01-2008, 09:21 PM
The problem with HP is they can have a certain Model, yet the internals may differ slightly. So while it may have been stated it will work on your PC it sometimes doesn't.

What you mention about speed difference - On some PC's that is true the faster RAM will slow down to the slower speed, with no problems - then on others it all turns to custard.

Can you get your $$ refunded from the seller, since it doesn't work on your PC ?

EDIT/ Updated
According to HP This is the RAM you need (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nz/en/sm/WF13a/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-12433944.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_NZENC-002_HP%20Compaq%20nx6325%20Notebook%20PC&lang=en&cc=nz) As long as this LONGGGGG link works - click on the Memory in the center of the page

johnd
13-01-2008, 09:37 PM
What you mention about speed difference - On some PC's that is true the faster RAM will slow down to the slower speed, with no problems - then on others it all turns to custard.

I can vouch for that - on my old ThinkPad T22 100MHz and 133MHz Ram will not work together whereas on many systems it will.

CYaBro
13-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes laptops can be picky about what RAM they will take.
Just this weekend I had two Toshiba laptops, an A10 & an A30.
I had to upgrade the RAM in both.
Tried a module in the A10 - laptop wouldn't boot at all.
Put the same module in the A30 and all is good.
As a test I took the RAM I removed from the A30 and put it into the A10 - All good.

How can someone charge money to install the RAM and then not even test it once they have done it??

drcspy
14-01-2008, 02:46 AM
yeh and not even install it correctly......what a rip

Yes laptops can be picky about what RAM they will take.

it's not jsut laptops either........also some BRANDS of ram dont 'play nice' with other brands.......try the lappy with just your new stick and see what happens