PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 2500

rumpty
13-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Is anyone out there using a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.

I was visiting a friend today who has one, and honestly, it was deadly to use. Very unresponsive. Apps took ages to load, 20, 30 seconds maybe, and doing anything like opening an email attachment was painful, so slow. Task manager didn't show any extra apps running, so that wasn't the problem. Just the AVG anti-virus.

It has WXP, 256MB RAM (64 shared with video, I think), and a 2.6G Celeron processor.

Memory amount seems on the low side for XP?

Should this machine be better?

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2008, 06:43 PM
256 mb isnt a lot for XP. It should have at least 1 GB.

Kill all the eye candy. It might go faster.

wratterus
13-01-2008, 06:45 PM
More RAM would help. A gig is a bot over the top, if you put a 512MB chip in, taking the total to 760ish that would help.

How much stuff is running in the background? Possibly crapware etc is slowing it down. Open the task manager, and check the ram usage and number of processes against the amount of RAM the lappy has. Any more than 45 processes, kill stuff, post a hijackthis log if you want.

If it's using more RAM than it has, thats a lot of the problem.

rumpty
13-01-2008, 07:37 PM
More RAM would help. A gig is a bot over the top, if you put a 512MB chip in, taking the total to 760ish that would help.

How much stuff is running in the background? Possibly crapware etc is slowing it down. Open the task manager, and check the ram usage and number of processes against the amount of RAM the lappy has. Any more than 45 processes, kill stuff, post a hijackthis log if you want.

If it's using more RAM than it has, thats a lot of the problem.

As you suggsted Speedy, I killed the eye candy.

The only process that was significant was AVG. I wish I'd had time to do more checks on other things. Also didn't check how much free disc space there was. But at least doubling the amount of RAM is a must.

What I was really asking was "Is this Compaq 2500 a dog?" Seemed to get reasonable reviews when it came out.

pctek
13-01-2008, 08:42 PM
So did you do a spyware scan as well? AVG won't help with that.

rumpty
13-01-2008, 09:15 PM
So did you do a spyware scan as well? AVG won't help with that.

No I didn't. I was just visiting, and there was a time restriction. I really need to go back, with a list of things to check.

beeswax34
14-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Try running alternative programs such as Foxit Reader in lieu of Acrobat Reader, CCleaner for any registry cleaners, NOD32 or Avast for AVG to hopefully free up some space.

Really though, with a reasonably good processor like that and with RAM down to 192MB, just putting in another 512MB or even 1GB should leave you with no complaints about the speed and performance again.

drcspy
14-01-2008, 02:41 AM
256 mb isnt a lot for XP. It should have at least 1 GB.

rubbish......1gb would be nice yes but for many years now computers have been runnin xp on quite a bit less than 1gb......

I do agree that 256 is too little though specially as it'll really be 192 available for the system after the 64mb is taken by the video.........

Task manager didn't show any extra apps running

so...........what IS running ?.....how much crap runs at system startup ?.....check msconfig....UNtick any autoupdaters adn other rubbish such as findfast and office startup and etc theres usually plenty of that kind of rubbish.....also check the virtual mem settings........and how long since it was defragged ?

rumpty
14-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I do agree that 256 is too little though specially as it'll really be 192 available for the system after the 64mb is taken by the video.........

so...........what IS running ?.....how much crap runs at system startup ?.....check msconfig....UNtick any autoupdaters adn other rubbish such as findfast and office startup and etc theres usually plenty of that kind of rubbish.....also check the virtual mem settings........and how long since it was defragged ?

When you think about this, it's no wonder the average person's computer bogs down after a year or two or three.