PDA

View Full Version : VHS to DVD

frossy13
13-01-2008, 09:51 AM
I have lots of tapes (purchased by me) I would like to transfer them to DVD
How would I go about that. Not that technicall minded so wouldn't mind paying someone

CYaBro
13-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Do they contain original video like movies or are they blank tapes that you have recorded stuff onto yourself?
If they are movies etc then they will most likely have macrovision copy protection on them which would make them impossible to copy without the appropriate device to remove the macrovision. (Which is most likely illegal but they are available)

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Get a capture card or tuner with video in.

Plug video out into video in. And audio out from the video to line in on the soundcard, thats it.

Then you'll need a program to record the video.

autechre
14-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Other alternatives are:
- a DVD Recorder that supports VHS in - record straight to disc
- a camcorder with VHS passthrough - record to mpg on your PC via your camcorder.

VideoHelp (http://www.videohelp.com/) is an excellent resource for that sort of thing with many guides & forums for help.

CYaBro
14-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Both the suggestions given will work great BUT if the original VHS tapes have Macrovision copy protection then you will just get a messed up picture.

SolMiester
14-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I think you purchased video tapes, not dvd's, therefore you have NO rights to convert that to DVD.

Digby
14-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I say stuff it, if you have bought a video cassette you should be able to convert it to any format you like !

Trev
14-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a TV tuner card for sale PM me for further details.
:)

kahawai chaser
14-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I use to use Sonic (http://www.sonic.com/)(came with my PC) to transfer family video tapes to my PC, then burn to DVD. I had to buy the plugs to attach from the video's RCA connectors to the PC's Video card. Sonic also allows you to author the output film as well - i.e. add transitions, subtitle's, etc...