PDA

View Full Version : Skype knocks out internet eplorer - XTRA?

oldmgs
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi

I instaled Skype a week or so ago - and it works fine. However from the time I installed it Internet Explorer has become very unstable. It will run for 1 to 5 minutes then hangs and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete out. This seems to be a particular problem with Yahoo Xtra mail - but other sites fall over as well. My internet connection is fine because I can remote desktop to my work computer and use that as long as I want (which is how I am currently acessing the internet from home - and posting this).

I did have Skype set to run at start up - now changed that, but the problem persists

I am running Windows XP pro which updates itself regulary. My ISP is Xtra. Is this some paln by Xtra to stop people using skype?

Any help appreciated

Douglas

lakewoodlady
12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
More likely to be an IE problem I think. You could try downloading Firefox and use that instead. Also have the latest updates for IE been installed ok?

oldmgs
12-01-2008, 04:38 PM
trouble is internet will not stay on long enough to do a download - guess I could download it on to a CD at work and do it that way. Thnaks

lakewoodlady
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Yes you could do that. I am wondering if IE was going to crash out anyway, even if you hadn't downloaded Skype?

Another thought, how long is it since you have checked for spyware, emptied your cookies, history and deleted internet files?

hkeyzer
12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
trouble is internet will not stay on long enough to do a download - guess I could download it on to a CD at work and do it that way. Thnaks

Or install Getright (or other download manager) which will allow you continue partial downloads.

oldmgs
14-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I have now cleared out all the temp files, cookies and history and doubled the disk space available for temp files. I ran a spyware scan and a Norton full disk scan. Nothing much showed up - few tracking cookies and one suspected trojan. But still IE hangs after a few minutes. So I downloded the latest version of IE 7.05730.13 and reinstalled IE from a memory stick. But still IE hangs - get the non-responding message. Any further advice appreciated.

Safari
14-01-2008, 07:51 PM
The problem appears to be caused by the Skype IE add-on

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=101815

oldmgs
15-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Great - thank you very, very much - I have read through the posts and that is exactly the problem I am having - seems to be worse on some sites than others. The solution seems to be to download a beta skype - or disable the IE skype plug in (which it it seems is not necessary). I am not keen on betas so I would really appreciate it if you could let me know how to disable the plug in. Thanks, Douglas

Safari
15-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Tools -> Manage add-ons

or

Click Tools -> Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab, then Manage add-ons